Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2014 (KB890830) -- recent 'Failed' (Error code: 80070002)

I am running Windows 7 32-bit on a Dell laptop, with McAfee anti-virus

In the recent two weeks or so (started 7/10/2014), Windows has repeatedly 'Failed' (Error Code: 80246007) during reconfiguration after loading registry changes for these six Updates.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 (KB2962872)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2971850)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2973201)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2961072)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2972280)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2973351)

Today I did search for 'New updates' and installed only the 'Malicious Software'

which also 'Failed' (Error code: 80070002), and I'm pretty sure the 'Security Update' 'Failed'(s) will return soon.

Is this enough info for anyone to see a pattern and suggest what's happening and/or how to fix it?

Thank you very much for any help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Your question really should be posted in the Windows 7-Windows Update forum and a Moderator may well move it there. In the meantime try the steps outlined in the following:

Windows Update error 80246007 Windows Update error 80246007
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-update-error-80246007#1TC=windows-7

Windows Update error 80070002
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-update-error-80070002#1TC=windows-7

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

[A Moderator has moved your thread from the Virus & Malware forum to the Windows Update forum for us.]

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 32-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7?

2. What is the full name of your installed McAfee application and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has any other McAfee application or a Norton application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a McAfee free-trial or a Norton free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Is KB2957689, KB2929437, KB2957503, KB2957509, KB2939576, and/or KB2957189  listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

6. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 7 Update 65 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp [2]

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v14.0.0.145 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8a. When (exact date) was Windows Internet Explorer 11 installed according to Installed Updates?

8b. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g.,Update Version: 11.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

8c. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner module)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

[2] No need to install Java if it's not already installed!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1a. I purchased my 'refurbished' Dell Latitude E6400 3.06GHz Intel 4GB RAM 250GB HD WiFi Bluetooth DVDRW Win 7 on March 29, 2014. --- (Note: the only oddity i've seen too often: when I enter 'sleep' mode for a while, upon lifting the top to resume, the whole system crashes!)

1b. Windows was preinstalled

2. I have the 'AT&T Internet Security Suite' 'powered by Mcafee' which I downloaded for free with my account from the At&t download site. I have no other anti-virus software, although maybe I should add Defender which I have liked in the past.

3. No.

4. There was no McAfee free-trial or a Norton free-trial preinstalled that I noticed.

5. Yes! All except one were installed 6/20/2014 (KB2929437 installed 4/23/2014)

6. The test using Explorer (I normally use Chrome) shows no Java.

7. "You have version 14,0,0,125 installed".

8a. 3/19/2014

8b. Update Versions: 11.0.9 (KB2957689)

8c. Chrome

9. I am not in the habit of using 'Registry cleaners'

thank you so much for the detailed attention

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a number of concerns here.

1. According to the ebay listing, the laptop was sold as "Used, Refurbished, Fully Tested and Working...Windows 7 Professional [was already] installed and all available updates have been installed."

• Fact: You cannot trust the security of ANY used computer unless & until you've formatted the hard-drive & then done a clean install of Windows (or pay someone else to do so). Note that the listing description says nothing about the seller (Eastern Trading Co.) having done that.

2. Most Dell computers came with a Norton or a McAfee free-trial preinstalled.

• Fact: Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here. In fact, the AT&T/McAfee suite may not be installed or working properly due to the "leftovers!"

3. According to the listing, the PC didn't come with a set of Dell disks. If you've not made your own set of system recovery disks yet, it should be on the top of your To Do list. See

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/kcs/kcsarticles/articleview?docid=266282

• Dell computers include a hidden Recovery partition you could use to do a system recovery but who knows if the partition's still there on your used computer?

4. Can you successfully upgrade to Flash Player v14.0.0.145 (or higher) by opening Internet Explorer ONLY to this page? => http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

• BEWARE any pre-checked options to "drive-by" install unwanted, third-party software (e.g., Google Toolbar; Google Chrome)!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The kicker now is that even though I plead with the OS to NOT 'install' the sticky six 'important' updates, which we now know are already installed, by de-selecting all in 'select updates u want to install', you guessed it, they still install.

These may indeed be "leftovers" or something else even stranger.

It is curious that this pattern just started July 10th, or maybe it's been happening forever and I just noticed it for the 1st time, but I don't think so because I believe it has been my habit to carefully watch the 'composing Windows' activity to make sure it completes safely, and the now consistent 'Failure' is unusual - there have been 'Failure's in the past, but they seem to mend themselves over time.

So, it is edifying to know that such in-depth help with the imposing Windows re-creating itself periodically phenomenon of Windows 7 (my first usage, and by and large I love it after being forced to abandon my long-time favorite XP). Thanks one and all for your impressive expertise, I may call again!

Since de-selecting doesn't work, is there any way short of reformatting to get rid of these pesky six?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The six (6) updates aren't the problem, the computer is. Since you want the updates installed, you've gotta fix the computer.

The "pattern just started on July 10th" because that's when the six (6) updates were released to Windows Update/Automatic Updates.

Note: The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks for extended periods (i.e., more than a minute or two) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

That being said...

Can you successfully upgrade to Flash Player v14.0.0.145 (or higher) by opening Internet Explorer ONLY to this page? =>http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

• BEWARE any pre-checked options to "drive-by" install unwanted, third-party software (e.g., Google Toolbar; Google Chrome)!

The success or lack thereof when attempting to update Flash Player will tell us much more about the condition & security of the computer.

PS: $249.00 USD was a good price for a used computer but you may have to put more money into it to get it working properly.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Flash Player update worked fine as far as I know (just checked: 'You have version 14,0,0,145 installed' (and I did avoid the drive-by's)

I don't understand why "you want the updates installed" - they are ALREADY installed, as we checked, no?

My reading is not that I want to install them (again), but how do I notify whoever needs to know, my computer or the Windows Update process, that they are already installed, and to stop trying to re-install them?

And thank you, making OS cds is #1 on my to do list.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In the recent two weeks or so (started 7/10/2014), Windows has repeatedly 'Failed' (Error Code: 80246007) during reconfiguration after loading registry changes for these six Updates.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 (KB2962872)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2971850)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2973201)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2961072)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2972280)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2973351)

Today I did search for 'New updates' and installed only the [Malicious Software Removal Tool and it] also 'Failed'...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't understand why [you're telling me that I want those] updates installed" - they are ALREADY installed

1a. KB2962872, KB2971850, KB2973201, KB2961072, KB2972280 and KB2973351 are all listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)... [1]

1b. And yet the second line of text in IE11 Help | About reads Update Versions: 11.0.9 (KB2957689)...

1c. And all six (6) of those updates are still being offered when you run a manual check for updates, is that correct?

2. Is the July 2014 Malicious Software Removal Tool still being offered when you run a manual check for updates?

==============================================

[1] If an update is listed as being successfully installed in Update History but it's NOT listed in Installed Updates, the update is NOT installed (except for the Malicious Software Removal Tool).

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hold The Fire, new results!

Well, miracle of miracles, the six pesky updates whose failure is the subject of this thread,

HAVE JUST WORKED.

I watched in amazement a few minutes ago when for the first time in about a month the 'Organizing Windows' message flashed the usual '35% completed' after which is has then consistently 'Failed' of recent - but not today!

When it flashed a higher percentage, perhaps 50%, I perked up, I knew we had a new ballgame. Then quite quickly it sailed to 75, then 100% -- a very welcome sight.

So I checked that they are ALL 6 'Installed' today 7/24/14, then I also ran the 'Malicious' scan for July, and it worked.

It seems odd that just when I had given up, and was ready to reformat and start over, on that very day (today), it finally worked correctly.

I am quite sure I did nothing to cause that result, unless prayer actually works with computers.

Thanks all for excellent help, especially 'Pa'

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback. Nevertheless, the following still stand...

1. According to the ebay listing, the laptop was sold as "Used, Refurbished, Fully Tested and Working...Windows 7 Professional [was already] installed and all available updates have been installed."

• Fact: You cannot trust the security of ANY used computer unless & until you've formatted the hard-drive & then done a clean install of Windows (or pay someone else to do so). Note that the listing description says nothing about the seller (Eastern Trading Co.) having done that.

2. Most Dell computers came with a Norton or a McAfee free-trial preinstalled.

• Fact: Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here. In fact, the AT&T/McAfee suite may not be installed or working properly due to the "leftovers!"
IMHO the computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2017 Views 1,188 Applies to: