Windows Live Mail 2012 - Changing from POP to IMAP

I want to change a account configured in POP to IMAP.

This involves removing the account in POP and reconfiguring it in IMAP.

The Sent Items in POP however will be lost.  How can I save the Sent Items in POP and then put them back in Sent Items in IMAP?

Willy

How can I save the Sent Items in POP and then put them back in Sent Items in IMAP?
Don't remove the POP3 account yet. Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties. On the General tab, deselect Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing, then click Apply and OK. This will ensure that the account folders will remain intact with their contents.

Then set up the IMAP account, and once the folders have been downloaded and populated with the contents of the folders on the IMAP server, you can select messages in the POP3 Sent items folder and drag them (or right-click and select Move to folder ...) to the Sent folder under the IMAP account. They will eventually be uploaded to the folder on the IMAP server. You might want to do the same with the Drafts folder.

Once you're quite sure that all of your messages have been downloaded and that there are none in folders under the old account that you need to keep that aren't in folders under the new account, you can right-click on the old account and select Remove account. This will remove the account from the folder pane and permanently delete all its folders and the messages in them, and it's irreversible, so please make absolutely certain that you want to do this before going ahead. 
Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks.  It worked.

I did not realize I could configure exact the same account in both POP and IMAP.

A solution I was going to use: configure another email account in IMAP and move the Sent Items of the POP account to the other IMAP account.  Then delete the POP account and reconfigure it as IMAP, and then, of course, move the Sent items back.

Willy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 3, 2024 Views 6,357 Applies to: