Windows Hello PIN Setup wants me to sign in with a wrong username

Hello,

I am trying to setup my Windows Hello PIN. After clicking Add, I receive a prompt with a message saying "Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to verify your password". This would be no problem at all, except... it wants me to sign in with a wrong username. The username it shows is an old one I had used several months ago and then changed. My windows login and my Microsoft account have been using the new username since then, but apparently for some reason Windows Hello PIN forgot to update its info.

The problem is: I can't login with the old username, because it is not recognized as existing. (Message: "Try entering your Microsoft account again. We don't recognise this one.") And when I click "Forgotten your password", it shows me the password recovery prompt... for my new username. This creates an absurd situation: I have a full control over my Microsoft account, but I can't use it to login to Windows Hello PIN, despite the fact that the same login works for Windows 10 itself.

Is there any way to force Windows Hello PIN to use the same username as Microsoft account / Windows login?

Edit: I just noticed the same thing happens when I click Your info -> Verify. Screen image:

Answer
Answer
Hi JCHBV,

Good day! This is Jhakesong an Independent Advisor and I will be happy to assist you with this.

Did you already removed this old username from your computer prior to using the New Microsoft account? It's possible that it is still stored in your computer. Give this a try for removing the old username:

1) Press WIndows key + R
2) Type systempropertiesadvanced and press enter
3) Under User Profiles, click Settings
4) See if the old username appears under "Profiles stored on this computer"
5) If it does, you may delete it from there

Check credential manager:
1) Press Windows key + S
2) Type credential
3) Open Credential Manager
4) Click Windows Credentials
5) Check under Generic Credentials and see if the old username details is listed.
6) You may remove it from there.

Let me know how it goes. Have a great day!

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 1,665 Applies to: