Windows Hello not recognizing Authentec Eikon USB fingerprint reader- not working

I have two HP laptops. I just did a clean complete install of Windows 20H2 on one. The Eikon fingerprint reader I have no longer shows up in Device Manager as a Biometric Input device- instead it shows up under Other Devices, with a yellow warning triangle that the driver is not installed. Windows was unable to find a driver for it. Windows Hello under settings says there is no compatible fingerprint reader installed. It also tells me there is no Windows Hello compatible camera installed, whereas before under the previous version it worked. 

The other laptop was upgraded using an in-place upgrade to 20H2. It recognizes the Eikon, shows it under Biometric devices in Device Manager, that it is functioning properly. Under properties, it shows 5 files for the driver. I copied these into the proper directories on the non-functioning laptop, but that didn't change things. It still shows up under other devices, no driver, and still is not recognized for Windows Hello.

The laptop which works with the Eikon also shows no Windows Compatible Camera.

Any suggestions? I did a search for updated drivers and came up empty.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My name is Jan, I’m an Independent Advisor.
I'll be happy to help you out today. Most likely a driver issue. Can you provide the exact laptop model, so we can help you find the compatible drivers?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

One is a 15-da0053wm, the other is a 15-bs234wm. The second one is the one on which the fingerprint reader works OK, so there's no reader driver issue on that one. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update.

You can try the workaround that is provided in this thread.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This won't help. Windows Hello will not allow setup on either of the cameras or the reader because it says there is no compatible device installed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for updating me about this issue.
I apologize that those steps did not resolve the issue.
Maybe someone else in the community can help you resolve the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I’m Virginia an independent advisor with 20 years of expertise in fixing my own & friends’ PC problems.
Which Windows 10 build are you running - 1903, 1909, 2004 or 20H2 (Oct 2020)?

As the scanner is an external device & isn’t inbuilt then visit the manufacturer’s website for the driver or check to see if there are any generic drivers available from Microsoft.

Have you tried manually searching the PC for drivers?
This may be the problem:
https://idency.com/knowledgebase/eikon-mini-win...
Ensure you’re connected to the internet to download the drivers automatically.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products).
Please do not download any repair tool which may be offered by this site other than the ones I mention/recommend.
Thoroughly research any product which is mentioned here before you decide to download and install it.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions. Both the laptop that works with the scanner and the one that doesn't are running 20H2. The drivers from the working laptop don't work on the non-functioning one. I tried having windows scan for drivers on the computer- it couldn't find any, even after I copied the ones from the functioning laptop. I tried scanning in each of the folders that had files copied from the functioning laptop. Windows couldn't find any drivers on the computer.

I asked windows update to scan for drivers, and it couldn't find any. The link you sent was about Authentec Truesuite, which I never had installed, so that didn't help. I did a google search for an Authentec website and an Eikon website, but I couldn't find anything that helped.

When I originally installed the sensor, it was plug and play under the Windows 10 2004. The non-functioning laptop continued to use the sensor just fine after an in-place upgrade to 20H2. It was when I was forced to do a clean install because of other problems that the sensor stopped working.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Program may be needed to use the fingerprint scanner, hence why I mentioned the link.
Have you tried other USB ports?

I can only think it isn’t compatible with 20H2 or the driver which it is supposed to download automatically isn’t.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a second HP laptop. I can plug the scanner into this laptop, also running 20H2, and it works perfectly. This would seem to rule out any 20H2 incompatibility or any problems with the scanner itself. It doesn't work on the non-functioning laptop on any of the 3 USB ports.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How are you connected to the internet on the devices?
I would try uninstalling/deleting the device from the hidden devices list & starting again.
If you check under device manager on the PC it works on what does it state under drivers?
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 3,726 Applies to: