Windows Hello Fingerprint not working after performing a clean installation of Windows

My brand new Lenovo ThinkPad P72 with a fresh install of the latest version of Windows 10 Pro 1903 Build (18362.418) as of the time of writing this thread, FingerPrint worked just fine. I reformatted the hard drive and installed a fresh Windows again in the same day, discovered the FingerPrint is not working.

All drivers are up to date, Synaptics WBDI - SGX Driver Version (5.3.3538.26) installed from Lenovo Support website https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds502265.

When trying to setup Windows Hello Fingerprint from Windows Settings, sometimes the LED of the fingerprint sensor let up and sometimes it does not, but without registering my fingerprint.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

***Original title: Brand new Lenovo ThinkPad P72 Synaptics WBDI - SGX not working! Windows 10 Pro 1903 Build 18362.418***

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with using Fingerprint reader on your PC after re-installation of Windows.

One of the things you may want to try is uninstalling and re-installing the Fingerprint reader drivers.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for ‘Run

2. In Run dialog box, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and hit Enter.

3. Expand Biometric devices.

4. Right click on the fingerprint driver and click on Uninstall.

5. Now check the box Delete the driver software for this device.

6. Click on Uninstall

7. Do not restart the PC now

Now download the Fingerprint driver from the Lenovo website

If the issue persists then you may want to try installing the latest firmware update on your PC from the Lenovo website.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Prakhar,

Thank you for the tip, but still the fingerprint doesn't read.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I see that there is a BIOS update available for your PC. I would suggest you to try updating the BIOS once and see if you are able to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

You can download the BIOS update from Lenovo website, you might want to get in touch with the manufacturer for BIOS update.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2023 Views 1,136 Applies to: