Windows Hello Change/Remove/Forgot PIN greyed out

Trying to setup Fingerprint reader authentication via Windows Hello on domain-joined systems.  I am able to set up Fingerprint reader after making some registry changes, I can create a PIN when setting up Fingerprint but cannot Change or Remove it as that option is greyed out under settings. 

I started with everything greyed out under Windows Hello, but after the following reg changes, I was able to set up a fingerprint reader:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System , changed AllowDomainPINLogon DWORD value to 1 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System , changed AllowDomainPINLogon DWORD value to 1   

After doing that I could set a PIN, set up Fingerprint reader, but I cannot Change, or Remove the PIN.  I can't push that out to users as they'd be out of luck if they forgot their PIN and needed to Change or Add a Fingerprint. 

I've done a lot of research and made GPO changes making sure Hello isn't configured while PIN is, that made no difference.  Everyone forum or site I search for enabling the ability to change/remove PIN tells me things I've already tried and nothing helps.  All I need is the ability to Change or Remove the PIN I created with the Fingerprint, any help is greatly appreciated.

(Screenshot below shows the screen as I see it on multiple PCs with Change/Remove/I forgot my PIN greyed out)

Hi Greg,

Based on the information that you've provided, we suggest that you post your concern at Microsoft TechNet Forums as they are the department that can best assist you. Please refer to this link for the Forum.

Don't hesitate to post back if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2023 Views 3,374 Applies to: