Windows has slowed down to a crawl in Normal boot but fine in safe mode.

I will give my specs real fast so that everyone knows I do have the hardware to run windows just fine.

Windows 7 home premium OEM

CPU: athlon II440

RAM: 4 GBs

MOBO: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

Cpu has been running cool  around 20c. Have done a chkdsk and a memory diagnostic to see if perhaps my hard drive or memory was the culprit.

The pc was running fine for the last 8 months until two days ago when all a sudden it was taking hours to boot up and when I even tried to go to the task manager to see what processes were running it crashed and would not allow me to go to task manager. I ran Norton internet securities with a full scan. along with malwarebytes to see if there were any virus. I did find two which I quarantined and removed. I also decided to do a system restore twice. First time it crashed, the second time it worked but still ran slow in normal mode. I decided to use the program Advanced system optimizer to run a search, the second it gets to looking for malware it slows down again and will take hours to run the scan or it will just shut down the pc. i have never dealt with a threat like this. I am assuming that it is a virus and not a hardware issue. Just curious if there are any other steps I can take before I have to do just a clean install, which I'm hoping not too.

Answer
Answer
You appear to have some agent that interferes with Windows while in Normal Mode but not while in Safe Mode. Here is how you can find out what it is:
- Boot into Safe Mode
- Click Start
- Type the word msconfig into the Search box and press Enter
- Untick every tick mark under the Startup tab.
- Click the Services tab, then tick the box that hides the Microsoft services.
- Untick every remaining tick mark.
- Physically disconnect the machine from the Internet.
- Reboot in Normal Mode.
- If this fixes the problem, restore the tick marks in groups of 4 until you find the culprit, then leave it unticked.

If you are reluctant to perform a clean installation, have you considered creating an image of your installation when it is in a clean and healthy state? Having such an image would save you heaps of time.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2020 Views 2,455 Applies to: