Windows goes to sleep despite there's Music playing

I have this problem where my PC will goes to sleep even though there's music playing. I have set my Power Options as Screen ( 5mins ) and Sleep (10 mins)

I usually leave my Media Player Playing my music in an few hours long of playlist and it still will goes to sleep after a little longer than 10 mins set in the Power Plans. My Screen will also awake and sleep , and then awake again, before finally sleep for good.

I have just reformatted the PC, then update it to the very latest build of Windows 11 Pro, with no other software except my usual media player.

In the Advanced Power Settings > Multimedia settings > When Sharing media > Prevent idling to sleep , is already enabled.

- So why my pc still can goes to sleep?

I have updated the BIOS too, on my ASUS Strix Z490-F , and Intel i5 10500, 16GB DDR4 HyperX Fury Ram , with WD Black SSD M.2

How do i fix this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There should be two ways of looking at this.

One is the application you're using. Applications can or may not let the OS know if they wish to keep the computer from suspending so it could be the media application you're using eg

The other is Windows idle checks. If somehow whatever you're doing on that specific computer just doesn't keep it from thinking that its still in use then it would suspend such as IdleSensitivity which is a percentage of your system activity. So maybe some just have systems that it is a bit weird with.

I did try looking into this with another post before and this time round, I'd say it this way. Its unknown and would have to be able to know what these variables are doing to possibly know why. How you go about looking into them? The first would be to ask the dev maybe or try a different application that is known to work. If its not the application then it should be Windows criteria for not suspending is weird on that system. I don't see any other way and as far as I know there's no other settings but there could be that I've never ever had to know about I suppose lol.

One other thing. You can see if a video meeting application will still have the suspend issue. Eg zoom and create your own meeting (all free). You can leave it on there and see if it still suspends. That will have higher usage and Zoom also keeps the computer from suspending by default so it should trip both of the above points even on your system I'm sure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried with other players like VLC, Groove, and Windows Media Player Classic, and my usual PotPlayer, Windows still sleep on with them playing.

How do i tweak that' Idle Sensitivity ' ?

I am not very good at these kind of thing - Tweaking..

You said there's another post that have the same issue with me? Could you share the link, i'd like to read it too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh, I have no idea where that post is on here anymore (searching on here is horrible). I added another edit to my reply above with another point though that I think should help though.

Not sure but I don't think they allow IdleSensitivity to be tweaked. If they do I think it might be more hidden and I'm not spending the time to try to find it. Searches aren't readily coming up with anything either.

Also, I see you can run PowerShell admin and then do "powercfg.exe /SLEEPSTUDY" and then browse to the file (it says where). That might provide you more info or not. Its missing info on my system so it might be not great. You might find more with powerfg from command line here using /? instead which is a manual. Be careful what you use there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

like this? I not sure if i did it right, and i have zero idea what it says.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found the 'report ' and i no idea how to read it lol

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you have a ,exe (comma exe) instead of a .exe (dot exe is needed) :-)

Also there's powercfg.exe /SYSTEMSLEEPDIAGNOSTICS which might help too just maybe.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should be able to right click and open with. Any browser should be able to open it.

Hopefully that gets you on track. I might not hang around any further. Its already been longer than I normally spend lol.

Someone else I would think should be able to continue with helping.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, i have opened the report on my browser, and i have no idea how to read or understand what it says whether it's normal or there's something wrong.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know what a wrong one looks like. Should just be wrong looking or state an issue if it can detect it :-)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby-sleepstudy

So they do have something to help understand it. Got your work cut out for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 8,374 Applies to: