Windows Firewall notifications

It is impossible to turn off the firewall notifications in Windows 10 Build 1903.

In January, I asked:  "When is Microsoft going to fix the bug in Build 1809 that makes the firewall notifications IMPOSSIBLE to turn off?"

A. User replied with a an option to turn off all security notices in the registry file.  How to Enable or Disable Notifications from Windows Security in Windows 10

I actually did that at that time.  It worked.  Then there were two other PCs in the house that had the same problem so I phoned up and a bunch of calls and back and forths later I was shown how to use a new Windows 10 account to reset errors in my current Windows 10 account.  Except, I had significant trouble understanding the person and did not take good notes.

Now with Windows 10 Version 1903, all three PCs in the house are constantly notifying us that the firewall is off.  All I did was experiment with the LAN settings and presto!  Big Brother Microsoft was reminding me that I did not need one firewall, I needed two or three firewalls.  

My guess is that Microsoft wants me to simultaneously run my router firewall, Windows Defender Firewall and the ESET NOD32 firewall because I was born with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) and/or sniffed glue during the formative years. 

So how do create an account and in the process restore the original accounts so I no longer get these constantly annoying messages?

I have never seen a firewall notification from Windows 10, which is not surprising, because I use a third-party security suite. When Windows Defender (which includes Windows Firewall) detects that a third-party security suite has been installed, Windows Defender turns itself off, which it did if you installed an ESET security suite. That being the case, it's a mystery to me why you're seeing firewall notifications from Windows Defender.

Your router has a different type of firewall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not affiliated in any way with Directly or their Independent Advisors.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

S-and-S,

It is a far more common problem than you probably believe.

It started with Build 1809.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I called Microsoft.  A couple of hours later I ended up talking to Bryan.  

Bryan talked me through creating a new user account.  I did.  He hung up and the firewall notifications came back.

When I talked to Bryan a few days later, he had no idea what to do other than edit the Registry to delete all security messages.

It is very frustrating with Microsoft because you are never sure if the person on the other end of the line actually understands what you are saying.

To repeat what I told Bryan, earlier in the year, a woman support tech had helped create an account, temporary if I recall, that solved the problem.   Unfortunately I had not taken notes as I had a hard time understanding what the tech person was telling me.  

Oh well.  

Maybe the simplest is to just nuke all the security messages.    Windows 7 was actually a good OS and it did not have many of these features.  

And maybe the Firewall messages are necessary for the average dumb Microsoft user.  What do I know?  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with PooleE that this is a common and annoying problem since Build 1809. I manage hundreds of machine and every one of them has this issue regardless of what settings you turn off for the most part. I do not want to turn off ALL notifications, just the ones I no longer need to see. Focus Assist helps by hiding them from popping up in the notification area but they are still there if you open the action center. This is ridiculous! Understanding it's purpose, and especially in an enterprise environment, it should be as simple as a toggle or checkbox to end this madness. Get it done Microsoft!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

...... I do not want to turn off ALL notifications, just the ones I no longer need to see. .....

That is my wish too amapsr.  Though at some point if I have to turn off all notifications, I will.  

This can be resolved by creating a new account, unfortunately I do not recall the exact steps and Microsoft in its paternalistic wisdom has seen fit not to publish that work around.

amapsr, I am curious, are those machines you manage on Windows 10 Professional?  And are at least some of them on the same LAN?  Ideally you should be able to use Group Policy to make the necessary changes.  

I gotta wonder if this a broader 'cultural problem'.  Look at the USA right now.  People are standing on the roof-tops and shouting loudly that "Americans are stoopid."   Maybe Microsoft is deliberately adopting a lowest common denominator marketing and support strategy? 

Or maybe Microsoft is thinking:  "We have the network externalities.  You don't like the quality?  Screw you!"

frustrated -Erik

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They are all Windows 10 Enterprise and on the same network. Even using GP, it seems there is no setting for this issue. I won't disable all notifications. I guess focus assist will have to do until Microsoft gets there Act together.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I gave up.

I backed up the registry and then added the commands to disable all notifications from Windows Security.

Then I disabled the Windows Security notification icon in the tray.

Problem "solved" I guess.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 31, 2022 Views 3,204 Applies to: