Windows Fast Startup causing crashes, corruptions, and (recently) user lockout

Hello all

I have an MSI leopard pro laptop running Windows 10. It's about a year old, purchased in December 2016.

Since my purchase I've had a few BSoDs that have come out of the blue (no pun intended) despite ensuring software and hardware integrity. I've done sfc and chkdsk on multiple occasions throughout the year with no faulty outcomes being found. I'm also very careful on which sites I visit and have a no-script.

Despite this I've received those few crashes out of no where. I also note that crash dumps were not saved in the minidump folder on about half the occasions.

One thing I've noticed is in Event Viewer, there's always an error notification that Windows failed fast startup, followed by an error of all event handles have been dropped, followed by a critical "the previous system shutdown was unexpected". I'd also get a few CLSID permission errors following too. This was link to Fast Startup (FS), where I have found a couple problems linked to FS.

Yesterday when starting up the computer didn't boot up, it immediately went to verifying and repairing C: drive. This was odd. When logging in I noticed the computer running slow so I restarted, but then it brought me to a new logon screen saying it failed to retrieve my local profile.

Can this problem be caused by FS messing around with locking the harddrive (as I read it does)? I disabled FS and now note no error or critical messages in Event Viewer when starting up the computer (including no CLSID error).

I have quite a bit of information saved over the past year as I've tried to tackle this problem, so I don't want topost it all here, but if anyone wants any I can surely dig it out for convenience.

Thanks

Hi MarcoA07

Fast Startup is a setting that helps your device to start faster after shutdown. Windows does this by saving the kernel session and device drivers (system information) to the hibernate file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down the computer. Thus, disabling the Fast Startup doesn't have a adverse effect to your system.

In-line with your concern, there have been reports about hibernation or shutdown failure, crashes, or even performance issues which is caused by some services or drivers that failed to initialize upon startup. If you wish to enable this feature, I suggest that you ensure that your system is up to date by following the steps provided on this support article.

Let us know should you have other concerns.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Darwin

It should be noted that prior to disabling Fast Startup, I would get the following Event Viewer IDs upon startup:

(error) Event 29, Kernel boot: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.

(error) Event 6006, EventLog: The previous system shutdown at [xxxx] AM on [yyyy] was unexpected.

(critical) Event 41, Kernel-Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event 1101, EventLog: Audit events have been dropped by the transport.  0

Then usually 4 or 5 of

Event 10016, DistributedCOM: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

This would happen on every start up (not restarts). They have disappeared when disabling Fast Startup. My system is up to date, I make sure to install OS and driver updates as they roll out.

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the prompt response. Based on the information that you've provided, the logs are related to a corrupted system files. These files to initiate the Fast Startup can be found in the Prefetch folder. To rule out your concern, I suggest that you delete the content of this folder leaving only the Layout.ini file. The folder is located in C:\Windows\Prefetch. Once you're done, re-enable Fast Startup and check if the issue persists.

Keep us posted with the result.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Darwin

I have Fast Startup disabled though with no change to system performance (since I am booting from an SSD). I read somewhere else that Fast Start can conflict with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (which is also on my system).

I think to be safe I will keep Fast Startup disabled as it is not hindering my system performance.

One odd correlation I noticed is that BSODs and weird computer activity usually occurs within close proximity to a Windows Update. I also read that because Fast Startup doesn't technically fully shut down a computer, updates which are only partly installed during the time of shutdown (updates that are installed in the background without user awareness) may get fragmented. Any comment on this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello MarcoA07,

At this point, there's no official article that talks about Fast Startup causing blue screen error but in theory this can be possible if the startup logs gets corrupted. Meanwhile, it would be best to temporarily disable this feature until such update or send us a feedback using our Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new one.

When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your concern that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items. In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps: 

1. Type “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  4. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  5. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  6. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  7. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/ link>).

Let us know should you need further assistance.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2020 Views 4,257 Applies to: