Windows Explorer "This PC" Documents & Pictures uanble to change map to OneDrive

I would like to control where my files are saved. It appears MS has taken control of Documents & Pictures & is automating a sync to OneDrive for those 2 folders & not allowing user control. Can someone please just confirm if that is what MS is trying to do? If it is, I will have to quit using "This PC".

Background:

I got a new computer and when setting up, MS automatically started copying the contents of "Documents" & "Pictures" to OneDrive. I had an initial issue with it using my outlook.com-OneDrive rather than my O365 1TB of OneDrive. It got stuck in an loop with the only way out being to purchase additional outlook.com-OneDrive storage so it could finish it's required copying. I obviously don't need since I have 1TB via O365. Luckily, I had my files elsewhere & just deleted files until it finished its automated routine. I then was able to turn off OneDrive, copy my files to my new machine in a location that would not automatically trigger a OneDrive sync process that I did not control. This is precisely why I do not want to give MS control of how/where my documents are stored. I managed to resolve that issue.

However, I am still unable to map "This PC" Documents or Pictures to another location. I get the message-- 

"Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied"

I've tried changing the name of DOCUMENTS to other things, but Windows always sees it as "DOCUMENTS". I've tried mapping This PC-DOCUMENTS to another random folder and I get the same message "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied"

If this is the business model that OneDrive & MS are moving towards, there need to be some big headlines about it. I've been on the phone with various tech support people for about 6 hours and they do not understand the issue. Some want to make it a OneDrive issue, some a Windows Issue, some an Explorer issue. There are numerous threads on this issue but MS has marked them all is closed so I can't add to those threads but am forced to start a new one.

It makes me very nervous. I do not want MS deciding what is stored on their cloud & what I am able to store locally without sync. I use Google Drive, Drop Box, Creative Cloud etc. and those have not placed tentacles into my operating system in a way that limits my ability to control where my files are stored.

Questions:

1. Please explain how MS is trying to change Windows/Explorer/OneDrive integration

2. Are Documents & Pictures permanently mapped to OneDrive unless I am willing to make a registry change each time MS runs an update?

3. How does MS integrate outlook.com account with O365 account? For example, even tho I have O365, when I click on DOCUMENTS in Windows Explorer,  the folder path reads "Bonnie MS outlook.com account>Documents". Why doesn't it read "C:....Documents"? I'm not clear where it is looking for my documents.

4. Finally, if there is a tech support solution that can solve my problem, please give me a case number so I can call in & get resolution. I don't have another full business day to deal with this problem.

Please do NOT respond with the obvious that I've already said does not work. Right clicking on Documents or Pictures under either "This PC" or "Libraries" and changing the location. It does NOT work...so that is NOT a viable solution. 

Please don't close this discussion unless I respond that the issue is resolved. Almost all these threads are closed by someone at MS but the original poster never responds to say the proposed solutions solved their problem. So there is a ton of useless garbage threads in this community.

Windows 10 Pro

O365 Business on a single machine.

Dell XPS 8930

Set up the way MS requested...using my outlook.com (old Windows live) ID.

Have my own domain & set up my O365 Business account after starting Windows with my outlook.com email.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2019 Views 1,333 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

First of all, ignore the THIS PC to access your folders.

Use your C:\Users\YOUR NAME folder

Do this first

Select all 5 APPLY, OK

Now your system and personal folder is on desktop.

Now for onedrive, if you upload large files, it could takes 2 days to sync. Next is have you deselected folders to sync on PC onedrive folder with online cloud folders

Open folder and choose what folder are on your PC to sunc with online.

Check the auto save tab too, that should take care of it.

Now Camera Roll and Saved Pictures have been added to your PC from online onedrive.

Also, the access to your Folders in THIS PC location (usually the pictures folder) seems to change from time to time as in location., very odd, but has something to do with the sync of online folders. Just ignore accessing folders in this PC and access them from your user folder you just added to desktop.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your quick response. When I right click on OneDrive & go to Settings, there is no AutoSave tab anymore (see snip below). I suspect these instructions were accurate a short while ago. I suspect MS has taken away this control without modifying a registry setting. I wouldn't mind fixing it via the registry, but each time MS runs an update, I suspect they will grab back the controls & I'll have to edit my registry again. So I don't consider that a viable option for long term use. I don't want to mess with modifying my registry each time MS runs an update. Let me know if you discover something I missed, but I see no way to redirect via an Autosave setting in OneDrive. Clicking on Manage Storage takes me to my actual OneDrive O365 acct online & those are mostly the folders I control with the exception that it does appear that MS has chosen to move all of them inside a folder that it has named "DOCUMENTS". I don't want MS moving around my folder structure or making any assumptions about what gets backed up to OneDrive so this is making me very nervous & making me reconsider using OneDrive as my online cloud system. Google Drive is starting to look more stable as their updates don't take over my file storage systems or automatically move my files into other folders. 

"Choose folders" opens a OneDrive window that allows me to select what folders are synced. But interestingly enough, it is not clear from that screen that MS has chosen to put ALL of my existing synced OneDrive folders into a folder that they named DOCUMENTS.  I truly appreciate your help but I'm afraid MS is doing some stuff that people just don't realize. Probably 80% of the population is fine with it...hence the success of Apple. They don't care where their files are stored. They don't care that their phones are autosaving to the cloud at a lower resolution. And they occasionally lose data & just move through the consequences. I stuck with MS, bought O365, so I could continue to have some personal control. I just want MS to openly publish what they are doing and how it works so their consumers can make informed decisions instead of fighting the user interface. Thank you...but I don't think this solved my problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

well to start I didn't read all your post, but you have to select - select folders and see if any are checked.

next, it is not an issue, I have never accessed any of those folders there. That is why I showed you your personal folder to turn on desktop icons.

you can then pin user folder on desktop to quick access by right clicking it.

then you can open quick access or right click to open it,

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you seahawks65 for trying to help. I had never tried working this way. I understand your advice, but that isn't going to help me in the way that I work. I am constantly digging into my file structure to save/retrieve files to/from a specific location (when use "Save As" for example). My problem is that there is an entire section under "This PC" in Windows Explorer that pops open unexpectedly and that I can no longer rely on to be saving files in a location that I control. MS is putting things there that I don't want and mapping some of those sections to places without me knowing what they are doing. I basically have a list of trash folders under "This PC". I either want to control them or get rid of them or hide them & prevent them from popping open & distracting me when I'm scrolling through my file structure. In the "This PC" section of the image below...

MS put 3D Objects there and I don't use.

MS added A360 Drive & I don't use regularly so would prefer to drill down to it when needed.

Desktop After following your advice & adding those drives to my desktop, they do not show up here if I expand Desktop. So I have to go to the physical desktop to access them, which is fine if opening something, but not possible when inside a program & drilling down to a folder to "Save As" into a particular folder.

Documents was previously used but I will stop using it because it points to OneDrive & I don't want all my personal files on OneDrive. So now it is trash to me.

Downloads-I have on my quick access at the top so don't use it here.

Music MS allowed me to map to my local drive, but default was to move all my music to OneDrive.

Pictures it does not let you map to a local drive so now a trash folder to me.

Videos I can still map to my Video drive for now.

So my questions remain:

1. How is MS trying to change Windows/Explorer/OneDrive integration?

2. Are Documents & Pictures permanently mapped to OneDrive unless I am willing to make a registry change each time MS runs an update?

3. How does MS integrate outlook.com account with O365 account with OneDrive & Windows Explorer? What process links my outlook.com account to my O365 account so OneDrive knows to use my 1TB of O365 rather than my 5GB on Outlook.com? MS needs to have this clearly communicated in forums, community, help, etc. I've spoken to 4 different MS tech support people and they are unable to answer this question about their own product.  For example, even though I have O365, when I click on DOCUMENTS in Windows Explorer,  the folder path reads "Bonnie MS outlook.com account>Documents". Why doesn't it read "C:Documents" or "O365domain>DOCUMENTS"? I'm not clear where it is defaulting to save documents.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is where to go to view and control your account for everything. Devices, Onedrive, Office, Security, Privacy, Location, Browsing and Search history.

https://account.microsoft.com/

Then I will tell you that you are worried or concerned for no reason. Just do not run Onedrive and it has no affect on your folder located in THIS PC.

Next, in your C:\Users\ YOUR NAMED FOLDER

It should be correct and only a couple Onedrive folders are stored there for Onedrive use if you want to use them. Just access you Account folder holding everything from C:\Users\ YOUR NAMED FOLDER. I do not even know why these are put in THIS PC location to begin with.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you again Seahawks65 but none of this addresses my questions. I would prefer someone at Microsoft address my questions. Thank you.

So my questions remain:

1. How is MS trying to change Windows/Explorer/OneDrive integration?

3. How does MS integrate outlook.com account with O365 account with OneDrive & Windows Explorer? What process links my outlook.com account to my O365 account so OneDrive knows to use my 1TB of O365 rather than my 5GB on Outlook.com? MS needs to have this clearly communicated in forums, community, help, etc. I've spoken to 4 different MS tech support people and they are unable to answer this question about their own product.  For example, even though I have O365, when I click on DOCUMENTS in Windows Explorer,  the folder path reads "Bonnie MS outlook.com account>Documents". Why doesn't it read "C:Documents" or "O365domain>DOCUMENTS"? I'm not clear where it is defaulting to save documents.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, well type in questions in search engine and read them. Or go to Microsoft TechNet website and ask them, that is your best option.

Keith Miller posted a link on a fix, if that failed too, then do what is mentioned above.

Good Luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Bonnie,

I'm not sure why you don't have the AutoSave tab, it's still available here and I have all the latest updates.

Perhaps it has something to do with the installation of O365, which I don't have.

I would still recommend the .reg file on the link I referred to. At one point, I had the same issue with This PC, but once untangled, it hasn't recurred.  The last major update did wipe out my custom font sizes which had to be restored via the registry. But my OneDrve settings were unaffected.

OneDrive is still active and syncing, but only those files I specificallly place in the OneDrve folder or one of its subfolders.

Incidentally, the folders seen in the Choose folders dialog are all subfolders of your local OneDrve folder, as evidenced by the Location on this PC: notation at the bottom of that dialog.

Have you checked under Settings -> System --> Storage and then clicked the link labeled: Change where new content is saved?

Also, If you use the Libraries, check the properties of each Library folder for its default save location:

But to fix the folder shortcuts under This PC, I think you have to go with the reg edit. But I think it will stick.

Keith

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed, it should be there.

Sorry this didn't help.