Windows Explorer restarts every time I open up File Explorer

I was starting up the file explorer and Windows Explorer keeps crashing every time. I am thinking this is a virus that installed itself with nothing required, because I never installed any malware prior to my Windows 10 upgrade.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 2: Update the Display driver

I suggest you to try updating the Display Adapter drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

1. Press Windows Key + R key and type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
  2. Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
  3. Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
  4. Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
  5. Restart the computer after its updated and verify. 

Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest chipset and display drivers for your computer and install the same.

Method 3: Run SFC Scan

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files

Run the System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupted files. Follow these steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Giridhar J,

I am experiencing the same issue with Windows 10. I am running a 64-bit version on my computer. I have tried the steps above without any success. My graphics card drivers are up to date, I had no integrity violations when I performed the SFC scan and when I did the clean boot, the problem still occurred. 

The issue I have (and I'm sorry if I'm repeating what AltJupiterFive has already said but I need to be clear on the issue that I'm having) is that it seems explorer.exe keeps restarting whenever I:

1. Click on the File Explorer logo in the taskbar

2. Click File Explorer in the start menu

3. Right-click to do anything when I am in File Explorer

Currently, the only way for to go into the file explorer is to either open up the Recycle Bin and navigate my way to other folders or to type something into the search bar in the start menu, click My Stuff and then scroll down to and click on File Explorer. This is making it very difficult to use my computer because when File Explorer restarts, it also closes down all open file explorer windows and if I have just rearranged my desktop icons, it will reset those to where they originally were. 

I hope that we can solve this issue and I hope to hear back from you soon! 

Thanks

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to reset your computer and check if it helps. Refer the follow Microsoft help article to reset the computer.

Recovery options in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Hope this information helps. If you have any queries, let us know. Will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See;

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-explorer-in-windows-7-keeps-crashing-and/c6fddc14-7649-4334-ac9a-6d049fd503bd

Worked for me.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have not read all the replies but i too have been struggling and searching around the net for answers, and with help from all of them, i was finally able to find the problem and fix it(please note i am not an expert and i do not know the consequences of doing this, but since it worked im happy and i think you will be too).

FIND THE PROBLEM
-first, you can check your event viewer to see what the problem is, and heres how to do that:
-search for event viewer in the start button.
-next, expand the 'windows logs' part and click on 'application'.
-press ctrl+F to open the search button, and then search for "explorer".(if nothing is found,try opening file explorer one more time until it restarts so that the event logger will pick it up.)

once i done this, i was able to find that 'UIRibbon.dll' located in C:\windows\system32 was causing the problem.

FIX THE PROBLEM
-open your 7-zip program and navigate to the drive where the dvd is (mine was F:\ in this case and yours should be different)
-look for the 'sources' folder and enter it.
-look for 'install.wim' and double click it.
-go to 'windows' , then , 'system32' inside the windows folder.
-your address bar should look like this now - F:\sources\install.wim\Windows\System32\
-look for UIRibbon.dll and extract that to your desktop or whatever folder you have admin power over and know the address of.
-you can get an address by making a shortcut on your desktop and then browse to wherever you extracted the dll file to(like 'desktop' for example), and then just copy that address there and click 'cancel' to cancel the shortcut.

time to act like an IT expert:

open your command prompt as administrator and type/copy and paste the following:
takeown /f C:\windows\system32\UIRibbon.dll
 then type:
icacls C:\windows\system32\UIRibbon.dll /grant administrators:F

this is so that the file can be replaced without getting a 'no access' situation.
then type the following:
copy C:\(your desktop address from the shortcut)\UIRibbon.dll C:\windows\System32

type 'y' and then, celebrate because the problem is fixed. if you struggle, just use the following links to guide the 7-zip extraction process and the command prompt process:

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/09/17/how-to-extract-missing-system-files-from-the-dvd-of-windows-7vista/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 22,761 Applies to: