Windows Explorer Jumps Up / Down Issue

I use Windows Explorer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit) a LOT (To find specific Folders, Files, Etc.) !!! However there appears to be several issues.

1st- It jumps back up to the top of the listing & I have to scroll back down ever single time. Major Pain!

2nd- Even if I pick the Folder first, then the Expand Arrow, It scroll down, now I have to scroll it up to get to the sub Folder / Files - More Pain !!

3rd- Previous versions of Windows allowed me to set where I wanted Windows Explorer to allways open up at (i.e. - C:/ or some other location). I cannot find a way to do this now with Window 7. I can not even "PIN" to C:/ to use that method.

Any help, suggestions or fixes (best option) will be very, very , very welcomed.

RMM

Answer
Answer
3rd- Previous versions of Windows allowed me to set where I wanted Windows Explorer to allways open up at (i.e. - C:/ or some other location). I cannot find a way to do this now with Window 7. I can not even "PIN" to C:/ to use that method.
Click the link below to read a detailed guide for changing the default start up folder.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17415/set-the-windows-explorer-startup-folder-in-windows-7/

1st- It jumps back up to the top of the listing & I have to scroll back down ever single time. Major Pain!

2nd- Even if I pick the Folder first, then the Expand Arrow, It scroll down, now I have to scroll it up to get to the sub Folder / Files - More Pain !!

This is the Left Pane Scroll Bug.

See the bottom of this post for help with the left pane scroll bug.

Tell MS you want it fixed by voting at the Microsoft Connect website:

http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/621426/bug-when-expanding-folders-in-explorer-server-2008-r2-and-windows-7

Watch the left pane scroll bug: Video evidence of the left pane scroll bug using Windows Explorer in Windows 7

This shows one way to reproduce it, clicking the triangle to expand a folder you're currently viewing also reproduces it.

Left Pane Scroll Bug threads: 1. Bug: Windows Explorer expands folders inappropriately, jumping the folder you expand to the bottom of the navigation pane

2. Windows explorer tree view expands at the bottom, not at the top as it used to be

3. Windows Explorer navigation pane issue

4. Windows explorer moves the selected folder to bottom of folders list. How do I stop this?

5. Strange folder behavior in left pane of Windows Explorer

Left pane scroll bug (and other fixes):

Using Classic Shell To Restore Some Features To Windows Explorer

After installing the free Classic Shell you can customize Windows Explorer closer to how you want it, the quote below is just one way to do so. Click here to see some of the options you can customize, and here is the FAQ page for Classic Shell.

A solution which did work for restoring some features.

1) Install the free Classic Shell.  This is very customizable, and works as a mod for Windows Explorer rather than a full blown replacement. You didn't need to install the Classic Start Menu option, but you can if you want.
2) Reboot the computer.
3) Launch Windows Explorer (Start - Computer) and turn on "Always Show Menus" (Organize - Layout - check Menu Bar). This is just for configuration, you can turn it off again afterwards if you want.
4) Right click on the menu bar and turn on the "Classic Explorer Bar". This adds a series of cut/copy/paste icons to Explorer. Crucially, it also adds the "Configuration" icon.
5) Go into the configuration and from here you can tweak things to your heart's content. To kill the horrible Windows 7 folder-jumping, switch the "Navigation Pane Style" to Vista. You can even knock it back to XP mode if you want (this adds in the lines to the folder tree and adds a classic "+" icon for expanding folders). The Windows Vista style folder view looks pretty much the same as the Windows 7 view, but gets rid of the horrible jumping.
6) Tweak any other settings you want.

After this, you can turn the toolbar and menus back off in Explorer if you wish. Windows Explorer looks largely the same, but folders no longer jump around. Vote for Microsoft to fix this bug.

Now, if only MS could code properly so that we don't have to mess with third party apps to get Windows to actually work properly...

You can also let Microsoft know you want this bug fixed here: http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: don't make the message too long, there is a size limit to your message even though the page doesn't tell you about it.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I use Windows Explorer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit) a LOT (To find specific Folders, Files, Etc.) !!! However there appears to be several issues.

Any help, suggestions or fixes (best option) will be very, very , very welcomed.

RMM

Hi

Number 1 and 2 are known issues that have no definitive fix, yet.

Number 3 is the same as it's always been in Windows. You can simply right click the Windows Explorer shortcut that you use and select Properties.

In the Target Box, enter the path where you want WE to open.

For example: 

%windir%\explorer.exe /e,

Will open to Computer, showing all drives.

%windir%\explorer.exe C:

Will open with the C: Drive expanded.

%windir%\explorer.exe C:\Users\your name\Documents

Will open WE with your My Documents folder selected.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP – Windows Expert - Consumer
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 10,897 Applies to: