Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file

HI Team

I am facing a problem while trying to open an excel file or word document from windows explorer. If I try to double click/press enter after selecting the file name, windows explorer doesn't respond. I have to forcefully close it.

Steps followed Open windows explorer --> browse to the file location (excel/word) --> Try to open by double clicking/pressing enter. Windows explorer hangs and doesn't respond.

The same file opens without out any issue if I go through Open Excel/Word --> File --> Open --> Browse to the location --> Click open and the file opens. I am using windows 10 

Issue started almost a month back

Please help

Thanks

Unny

Hi Unny

This is being reported lately, your Office file associations are corrupt . . .

Follow these steps to perform a full repair of your Office installation . . .

Open Control Panel - Programs and Features
Click Microsoft Office in the list of installed applications
At the top, click 'Change'
On the resulting dialog, click 'Repair' - choose the Online Repair, it is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Unny

This is being reported lately, your Office file associations are corrupt . . .

Follow these steps to perform a full repair of your Office installation . . .

Open Control Panel - Programs and Features
Click Microsoft Office in the list of installed applications
At the top, click 'Change'
On the resulting dialog, click 'Repair' - choose the Online Repair, it is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

HI Dave

Many thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, this didn't help due to couple of reasons

I can't find MS office as a program installed under programs & features. There are hardly 35 programs listed there (much less than what I had in previous laptop). I assume this maybe because now Office is considered as an App and not a program. I searched for Office in the search bar, right clicked on it and there was an option for repair. Completed repair, but still no luck. The files are not opening. I have 'repaired' excel and 'word' separately as well, but no luck.

Please note there is an option of reset along with repair, but its mentioned data associated with the app will be deleted and hence not tried. (For repair option , it's mentioned the apps data will not be affected) 

Please let me know if I can try something more

Once again, thanks for your help

Regards

Unny

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Unny

Since you are using the App version, the Reset option is the best, rest assured, your files will not be touched by that option, they may disappear from the Recent file list, but will still remain wherever you have saved them . . .

Do you save your files to your PC or online on OneDrive?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Dave

Once again thanks for your help. Unfortunately, this haven't solved the problem. I reset at excel/word level as well as complete office. For once the word worked (I was able to open a word file from explorer), then back to the problem for excel and word (explorer hangs while trying to open any word/excel file).

I have tried after multiple restarts as well, but no luck

I save the files in my PC 

Thanks once again. Please let me know if I missed any steps/or any other way to solve the problem. I tried the following. Results are same for all after restarting as well

1) Repair at excel/word level and Office level --> Not working  

2) Reset at excel/word level and Office level --> Not working (Worked once for a word document, but again stopped)

2) Repair followed by Reset at excel/word level and Office level --> Not working

Thanks & Regards

Unny

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2023 Views 1,496 Applies to: