Windows Explorer Disabled - Stuck in Safe Mode (McAfee)

While cleaning viruses from my PC, Mcafee disabled windows explorer and the PC is stuck in safe mode. We tried many solutions involving the only on screen access now which is the task manager. They explained that I needed manufacturer support to fix the issue. 

You need to contact mcafee.
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You have McAfee and you have viruses to clean?

There's a message there...

What does "disabled explorer" mean?

Tell us some of the many solutions you have tried so we don't suggest the same things.

I think of Explorer as being your desktop so if it is not running you will not see much...  no desktop icons, no taskbar, etc.

From Task Manger Processes tab if you do not see explorer.exe as a running Process (that is a problem) describe what happens when you attempt to launch it.

Click File, New Task and in the box enter:

explorer.exe

If it still won't work see if you can launch System Restore to restore your system to a date/time prior to this incident by entering in the box:

rstrui.exe

The System Restore window may open behind Task Manager so drag TM out of the way so you can see the System Restore dialog.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. 

I was was not running McAfee. My service provider ( Bell Canada ) uses McAfee and is included in their software but I was not running it at the time.

I was having problems getting access to my email server and a level III tech-support at Bell recommended I do a virus scan before they could figure out why I couldn't get in. I got in touch with McAfee and they took my computer and logged in and spend about 40 minutes claiming to erase some viruses. When they were finished, my computer was stuck in safe mode but with no option other than control alt delete to get into the task manager. The tech at McAfee was fully aware of the situation and because they could not log back onto my computer, they were convinced I had to alternatively go to a local tech or discuss it with Microsoft. I'm waiting for my guy but in the meantime I thought I would try out this forum.

We did get to the place indicated in your graphic and tried to get on explorer.exe but of course we could not. I am not in front of my computer at the moment so I have not tried the possible solution you've given me.

When we tried to launch from the screen that you have displayed it would do nothing.  I have a feeling they were correct when they say that it's during their virus cleaning somehow my windows explorer was damaged or otherwise incapacitated. I will try the solution you have suggested but believe it will not engage in restore or otherwise. In that case, after having spoken live with a Microsoft tech-support, I believe I will have to reinstall the operating system or upgrade to a new computer which I was considering In the first place. I am running  32-bit Windows 7 and I'm told it's fairly antiquated although I know Microsoft still supports it. 

Thank you very much for your suggestion. You got into it pretty accurately and I can't wait to try your solution. Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2018 Views 117 Applies to: