Windows Error Message/Online Fix/Not Genuine Windows

I started having problems with Windows Update and after getting repeated error codes, contacted Microsoft 5 days ago. The first time, they remotely "fixed" the problem, but the same error message returned the next day. Another remote session, and the conclusion was that it was a technical problem that had to be elevated to a "Level 2." So this morning, I spoke with the Level 2 tech who remotely accessed my computer again, and after attempting several fixes, determined that I needed to re-download Windows 7. 4 1/2 hour later, I had to leave while it was still updating, and when I got home and went back to my computer, found a screen asking for the Product Key (which they did not give me, nor is one on my computer anywhere), and a small note in the bottom right corner that says "Windows 7  Build 7601  This copy of Windows is not genuine"

What is going on here?

Windows 7 came installed on my Dell Computer and there was no installation disc.

Not a genuine copy? What's happened?? Did I get scammed? Have I not been talking to Microsoft this whole time?  The number I called is 1-800-642-7676.  The number they called me from is 425-635-2970.

Please help!!

It sounds like they don't know what they are doing.

That is water under the bridge now...

Your Dell system should have a sticker on it or if it is a laptop it may be in the battery compartment with the 25 character Windows Product Key in this format:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Click here to see some examples of what that looks like

If you can't find it, can't read it or if you find it and it fails to activate you need to do this:

The easiest thing to do it talk to an activation expert (an actual human being) at Microsoft.

Click the Start button/orb and in the box enter:

slui  4

Choose your nearest country, call the toll-free number to speak to a human being:

Don't press any keys on your phone, don't respond to any voice prompts, just wait, wait, wait and you will be connected to a human being.

Explain your situation and they should help you.

If they don't help or can't help just hang up and call back again and the chances are good that you will talk to a different person and eventually you should find some nice person that will help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2021 Views 313 Applies to: