Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter

I recently switched out my motherboard and cpu in my custom pc and when I boot it up the Ethernet is not working. If I go to my network connections the folder is empty and also there is no network adapters other the WAN ones. I troubleshoot it and it says windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. I have tried system restore and it didn’t work. Also, I have wifi but nothing pops up for the WIFI on the pc so the pc is completely without internet. How do I fix?

Hi Erick -

Did you install all of the drivers from the Motherboard's Support Downloads web page for the exact model you replaced it with? If the ethernet device is on the motherboard per usual, then that's where it comes from, along with the chipset, latest BIOS, sound and any other drivers posted.

If the motherboard didn't come with an ethernet adapter then you'll either need to install one or provide the driver for the WLAN to use it to connect. It's strange it would have a Wifi adapter but no ethernet, usually it's the other way around.

The most basic thing we need to learn to maintain Windows 10 is how to keep the latest manufacturer's drivers current. Window Update and Device Manager drivers are rarely enough.

Feel free to ask back any questions. If you'll post back detailed results then I may know what to suggest next, if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Oops yea now that I think about it I didn’t flash the drivers for the motherboard. I’ll do that in the morning and let you know if it worked. Will anything be different with flashing the drivers if I have already booted it multiple times or no difference?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not really Erick, it's never too late to get the latest drivers installed unless Windows won't start.

Here are some guides to help out:

https://www.lifewire.com/install-motherboard-dr...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U1nueXI6zc

Feel free to ask back any questions. If you'll post back detailed results then I may know what to suggest next, if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks the bios and the drivers did it. Thank you!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2024 Views 942 Applies to: