WINDOWS DEFENDER

Windows Defender

The system tray for windows defender has a green check.  However, when I left click on it, the two options presented “View Notification Options” and “View Security Dashboard" are not available.   Also, the “Open Windows Security” button under Settings, Update & Security, Windows Security is not grayed out, but will also not function; neither will any of the options listed beneath the “Protection areas” even though they all do indicate “no actions needed".  In order to find out which version of Windows Defender I have it was necessary to use other software; it is  Windows Defender Version 4.18.1910.4.  I also noticed a new file "NisSrv.exe" is now present.  Some websites indicate this as a virus others list this as part of the Microsoft Network Realtime Inspection Service, part of Microsoft’s antivirus software.  Finally, under the Task Manager, SecurityHealthSystray.exe is "disabled".  Windows Update is current as if today.  I am also using Norton Security.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.  Thank You

Windows specifications are:  Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2, OS Build 19042685 and Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0.

Try right clicking on the icon.
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Clicking on the windows defender icon in the system tray does not bring about any results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2021 Views 225 Applies to: