Windows Defender is blocking various programs that seem safe

Hello,

I updated to Windows 10 version 1903 and Windows Defender started blocking programs that seem safe. They are either from Microsoft itself or from VAIO Care (I have a Sony laptop). Here is a list of the programs that were blocked.

- ioloTools.exe (this is something of VAIO Care)

- wscript.exe (this is Microsoft's)

- DiskTrace.exe (this one was from Intel, I read that it was safe to uninstall so I did it)

- powershell.exe (this is Microsoft's too)

*edit:

- VCAdmin.exe (something from VAIO Care)

The notification says something like "Controlled folder access blocked *folder path* from making changes to memory/disk". I read in another post that it is something of Windows Defender to protect against the ransomware virus, but why is it blocking programs from Windows itself? How do I stop it from making me crazy with all the notifications (it hasn't been 24hs since I updated and I've received almost 10 of them)? I want it to protect me from real danger and not from this programs that I believe should work without any inconvenience, if not its going to be like the "Shepherd's Boy and the Wolf" (I won't pay attention when needed because of the amount of unreal danger notifications it gives me).

Thank you,

Regards, 

Mercedes

Answer
Answer

Yes, uninstall AVG, & let Defender reactivate. Here is how...

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/completely-uninstall-avg-clear-remover

Completely uninstall AVG antivirus, etc, using AVG Clear & AVG Remover

Note: That is an informative 3rd-party site, but I know nothing (bad or good) about any downloads or links that may be there (or anywhere else). But I think I'd take the AVG-remover downloads in this instance.

Scroll down that page at thewindowsclub to see there may be trouble doing a Windows upgrade when AVG is installed as the real-time scanner. The upgrade may refuse to install. I dimly recall I may have seen a thread here that confirms it. But, after you have completely uninstalled it, I think you may keep it around to run manually on occasion as a supplement to Defender, if you wish.

Windows Defender is fully integrated into Windows, its definitions & platform are frequently updated, & MSFT should know best which viruses are the worst for Windows. Defender has many features, like offline scan, real-time protection, ransomware protection, cloud-delivered protection, smartscreen, etc. I tested it at the EICAR site, & it prevented all eight test viruses that were there.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

It is good that you are tinkering with anti-virus & ransomware protections just to get a familiarity with them. But they are two different things.

(1) Anti-virus:  When you put a folder into Defender's exclusion list, it means Defender will not scan it to see whether a virus has gotten into it. I wouldn't do that for a whole folder. I would only exclude on a per program basis - & only if Defender flags it falsely. When one is flagged, there will be a button to press that takes one to a MSFT site describing what it thinks the virus is.  Also you may BING it.

(2) Ransomware:  This is not examining a program to see whether it is a virus. This is shielding personal folders from access by anything. Those folders are at "Defender, Virus & Threat Protection, Manage Ransomware Protection, Protected Folders". They default to Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Desktop, & Favorites. I'm thinking of adding Downloads to it. I was miffed too that Windows flagged programs that I thought should be trusted...

...But it stops after a while, as you click to allow them.

(a) I'm hoping a Ransomware badie won't now come in & pretend to be one of those.

(b) PartAssist, ReAgentC & PowerCFG were blocked for accessing protected memory, not one of those folders...

(c) I will mainly worry, if I start getting alerts when I haven't myself clicked the program immediately prior.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 1,807 Applies to: