I got the 2004 update yesterday and that went well enough otherwise but I am having a problem with the Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service that I did not have previously.
1. I noticed in Event Viewer several Errors that began immediately upon completion of the update last night:
The Microsoft Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service service depends on the Microsoft Defender Antivirus Network Inspection System Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.
2. Further inspection has revealed that there is now a problem with Real Time Updates.
Microsoft Defender Antivirus Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: Network Inspection System
Error Code: 0x8007042c
Error description: The dependency service or group failed to start.
Reason: The system is missing updates that are required for running Network Inspection System. Install the required updates and restart the device.
I've got this error repeatedly (3002).
3. I went into security and maintenance to see what was going on with my security settings. That is not showing anything "wrong."
4. The Network Inspection Service is configured to manual, not automatic. I can't change this.
5. Real-time protection is on, and has been on. On Virus & threat protection settings, all of those are still toggled on, and those settings are the same before and after the upgrade. I haven't tried turning them on and off again yet.
6. I already did the August Safety scan, but I downloaded a fresh copy and am re-running it.
7. I did dism and sfc checks and they showed no problems that needed repair.
Something is definitely wrong with the install of Windows Defender tho... Help? How do I fix this and stop the errors and get it reconfigured properly. Do I have to reinstall it?