Question

Q: Windows Critical Update This thread is locked from future replies

Hi, How do we disable Windows Critical Update? I am having a big pain with regards to this so called "critical" freaking update. There are a few things that makes me feel irate whenever there is this uninformed stupid update, and they can be listed as below: 1. Jams my keyboard buffers. If I hold down a key too long the whole laptop will just go freezing with some noise coming out from the speaker. Once it release the key it went back to normal. 2. Files directory changed. Not one but a lot. The shortcuts i have no longer works, as they report file missing and stuffs. 3. Internet connection issue. This one caused me deep **** everytime, especially when I have to submit my work online. 4. My computer slows down like a snail even when I have an i5-2.30GHz 4GB RAM. Games won't load as fast as they do, and lags in game. 5. My application somehow all set to be run in 32-bit instead of the usual 64-bit. Big pain. 6. Windows media player playlist could not detect my library. 7. So much more. The point here is, I don't want this **** critical update that so called fixes DDoS or stuffs, so claimed. It causes my system to be imbalanced, crappy and at the same time rises my BP. Everytime there is an issue like this I have to perform a freaking system restore and even after that Windows will just simply re-update it automatically. Any form of help is kindly advisable.

Hide the update in question if you don't want it.

In the list of updates, right-click one you know do not want and select Hide update.

If you change your mind you can restore the update.

BTW - you can always change WU settings so as not to automatically install updates or download them -

1. Click Start, type Windows update in the search box, and then click Windows Update in the Programs list.
  2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

Such as download but let me choose when to install, or notify only etc etc.

No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem is, I have disabled Windows update quite a long time ago. But still it is downloading and installing without me knowing.

Sorry this didn't help.

28 people were helped by this reply

what is the KBXXXX number of the update that is causing you problems?

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

how do I find the KB number for the critical updates? I can't view it Windows Update, since there is only definition update for my Microsoft Security Essentials, and the only time I know my laptop got messed up is when I search for a restore point, there is one restore point that say critical update. If I were to restore before that happens, everything just turn out to be fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

MSE updates independently of WU.

If WU is disabled, there'll be no updates listed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I figured that we can go around this for days endlessly, so I would like to just make a small requests: 

Kindly teach me on how to disable the critical update. My Windows Update has been turned off and yet I am still getting this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

you could try deleting the WU cache and restoring the settings using this tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058?wa=wsignin1.0

Does this resolve the issue?

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)

Sorry this didn't help.

I figured that we can go around this for days endlessly, so I would like to just make a small requests: 

Kindly teach me on how to disable the critical update. My Windows Update has been turned off and yet I am still getting this issue.

1. You have disabled WU therefore no updates through WU.

2. You have MSE installed and MSE installs updates independently of WU but the update is listed in the history.

As long as MSE is installed, you will receive automatic updates for MSE.

To stop MSE from updating, you would need to uninstall MSE and find another program.

The last System restore point on this computer was when MSE updated yesterday and it was listed as Windows Update - Critical update.

The only updates on this computer were MSE updates during the last 5 days.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am here to issue my disappointment towards Microsoft and it's useless piece of **** Windows Update. Not only the Windows Fixit tools has failed to remove all the poops being thrown into my PURCHASED VERSION of Windows 7, but the update just keep coming like a cockroach. In fact, cockroach can be killed easily with pesticide. I have uninstalled MSE and purchased an Avast Antivirus Pro, turning off all the Windows features off but yet, this Windows Update managed to update a piece of useless **** that overloads my keyboard buffers all the time. KB915597 would be the specific useless junk forced into my computer this time. I am utterly disgusted when I found that the details said that it cannot be removed, and even system restore failed to restore back my computer to 100%. If there is any professionals out there who knows how to deal with this issue, please contact me. Microsoft seems to not know what the heck are they doing, and as of now I am forced to use this shitty laggy laptop of mine BECAUSE OF WINDOWS USELESS UPDATE. This is the first time I felt such disappointment towards Windows, and I am hoping that someone here in this community would be able to tell me exactly what will stop those useless critical update. (also, tell me how to remove the freaking KB915597) Please do not tell me that my programs is not compatible with Windows or I need to install whatever it is. I had enough of this, everything worked perfectly fine until Windows Update messed it up. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Was anyone able to resolve this issue?  The same thing is happening to me now.  When KB915597 critical update installs my email doesn't work and neither does my internet browser.  I have had to restore my computer several times.  I can't find a way to prevent it from installing whenever I restart my computer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,547 Last updated: April 15, 2018 Applies to: