Windows Compatability Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe) on Windows 10 behaves like virus - how do I get rid of it permanently?

To preempt the inevitable MS expert response, Yes I have tried a clean boot and no a virus scan did not pick up anything. Also I have installed all current updates and security patches.

So, now we've got that out of the way we can get on to how to resolve this known serious issue with the Windows 10 operating system.

I a program installs itselft without your permission, exhibits behaviour that renders a system virtually unusable and resists attempts to disable or uninstall it you'd call it a virus, right?

Windows Compatability Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe)  starts automatically, consumes 100% of disk resources for long periods, runs at higher priority than user tasks and resists all attempts to disable it. So I'm calling it what it is - A virus.

I've tried disabling it in the scheduler, disabling related services, setting registry keys to stop it starting but it always finds a way to start running again.

If this were a well behaved critical system function that kind of resilience might be acceptable but it is not. It is spyware installed by Microsoft to monitor usage in order to improve their product.

Well here's an improvement suggestion - Don't install irremovable utilities that render the system useless for long periods and annoy your customers.

If Microsoft do not remove this virus, I am going to have to resort to writing a service that runs in the background killing it every time it starts up. I would rather not waste my time doing that because I'm sure MS will find a way to make it even more unkillable so I'll have to waste even more time finding a way round that, and nauseum.

I know there is no guarantee that anybody in MS who can actually do anything will actually read this but I have to try.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2020 Views 28,931 Applies to:

Hi Mark,

The CompatTelRunner.exe file is a Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry file found in your C:\Windows\System32 folder. In order to keep Windows devices secure and improve the quality of its services, Microsoft uses Telemetry to collect system data and information. The CompatTelRunner.exe file is also used to upgrade your system to the latest OS version and install the latest updates.

About your query in getting rid of the system file completely, we'd like to inform you that this is enabled by default and considered as part of the required Windows services since it gets installed every time your system downloads a new update. This is also the main reason why you can only disable it in your Task Scheduler as it ensures compatibility if you want to update to the latest version of Windows.

Do not hesitate to reply if you need more help.

Regards.

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dhavelyn,

CompatelRunner.exe may provide you with useful information and I have no problem with that. If it were well behaved I would even be happy for it to regularly scan my system and pass the information on to Microsoft.

What it also does, however, is to disable my system for 20 minutes or more every time I start it up and at random times during the day by consuming 100% disk resources.

Not just my machine of course, judging by the results of a quick search, thousands of others have exactly the same problem and have had it since Windows 10 was initally launched.

As such it is not well behaved and, until its priority and disk usage are severely reduced, I do not want it running on my system.

Making life slightly easier for Microsoft is nice but having a machine that is actually usable is essential. I sure you will agree with me on this point and understand both my frustration and my desire to stop it.

This is a serious flaw in the operating system yet, other that patches to invalidate workarounds and ensure it runs, Microsoft seem to be doing nothing to address it.

Surely you must agree that the negative impact of this utility currently far outstrips any benefit.

It is a program that installs itself without permission, disables the user's machine, hides itself from the task manager, resists disabling and removal and transmits system usage data to a third party without permission.

By any definition it is a virus. It is also in breach of data protection laws.

77 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your prompt response and feedback regarding this matter. Since Windows Compatability Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe) gets enabled during a new download of Windows update and removing it completely is currently not possible, we suggest that you consult this directly to our IT pros from TechNet for an in-depth troubleshooting. See this link: Disable Windows 10 Telemetry TechNet forums.

Feel free to write again should you have additional questions.

Regards.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am pretty fed up on this nuisance too. And the evasive and non understanding answers by Microsoft.

When will Microsoft really start listening to its customers? And stop pushing 'functionality' that users do NOT want? Have you not learned anything from your start menu disaster?

I have been removing CompatTelRunner some 5 times now. It keeps on being reinstalled by every major update. I have just installed the 'Creators Update' and I had to remove it twice.

It is pretty absurd that I have to react paranoically when hearing my hard disk rattle and check my processes if Microsoft is spying on me again. And indeed discovering again & again that you do and then jump on the <removed> process to kill it.

And what are you really doing?! This is not some feedback on what processor somebody has got in his PC, you seem to be F'ing scanning my entire hard disk! This is so suspicious that you can only expect one reaction: <removed>

For those who want to get rid of it too. (Who does not? The only ones that do not are probably not yet aware of it.) There are plenty of posts on the web that address this (Microsoft: understand what that means!) I have applied quite some of those methods.

What seems to work most of the time is

• Locate CompatTelRunner.
  • Change ownership to yourself.
  • Take full rights.
  • Delete it and say <removed>

As an addition: I just checked with Sysinternals Autoruns and I removed 2 entries.

84 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have seen this briefly on my machine, but it has stopped and not returned...

I have had issues with other similar processes in which I simply ended up renaming the file in System32 as nothing else seemed to work for any length of time......

I had to change the "Owner" of the file in question to do this...

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for sending us your feedback. Since Windows Compatability Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe) gets enabled by default and all troubleshooting steps have been exhausted, we suggest that you consult this directly to our IT pros from TechNet for an in-depth troubleshooting. See this link: Disable Windows 10 Telemetry TechNet forums.

Feel free to post again should you have additional concerns.

Regards.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There's a way to disable it in Task Scheduler. Instructions in this thread.

CompatTelRunner.exe in Windows 10

P.S. I recently had Creators update installed. I have this Service: Connected User Experiences and Telemetry I've no problems with it.

Edit: I wrongly assumed I didn't have CompatTelRunner.exe on my system. I do, and I've never seen it appear!

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------
Please let us know if your problem was resolved. It'd be much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

And what are you really doing?! This is not some feedback on what processor somebody has got in his PC, you seem to be F'ing scanning my entire hard disk! This is so suspicious that you can only expect one reaction: F-OFF!

I do agree, it's incredibly suspicious. I took this screenshot displaying what's actually happening. There's a whole post about how after the Creator's Update, Windows spins up user's hard drives "for giggles". You can read the whole thing here.

"From what I can see, it appears as if Windows is looking for something across ALL 3 drives (the C: drive is an SSD and thus it's usage is much lower), but I can see a pattern here...

As soon as the C: usage drops, the O: usage rises to 100%, then as that drops, the E: usage jumps to 100% for about 20secs, then falls back down to 0%."

- Larry Kemp

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear incompetent folk at Microsoft,

WHY <removed> ARE YOU RUNNING THIS NONSENSE WHEN THE USER IS TRYING TO USE THE COMPUTER???  THE OS SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER FIGHT THE USER FOR ACCESSING HARDWARE RESOURCES ESPECIALLY FOR SUCH A UNIMPORTANT TASK AS THIS!  This trash causes a SSD to nearly max out, unbelievable!

It's 2017, why oh why are people having to resort to Google to figure out what <removed> you are doing to their computer when they are trying to use it?

This is VERY bad design, heads need to roll.  Satya is clearly clueless as he has not done something about this MAJOR ISSUE crippling millions of computers on a daily basis.  Clearly you have no clue and your software is getting worse by the year in many ways.

47 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

[SOLVED]

The information at this link enables users with Administrator rights to take ownership of the CompatTelRunner.exe file and delete or rename it: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/compattelrunner-exe-high-disk-usage-in-windows-10-7-solved/

25 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.