Windows can't open Add Printer. Access is denied. Homegroup, Permissions, Locked Out.

Greetings to all!  Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post and assist me with my issue, I greatly appreciate it.  In a nutshell, I believe I have changed my permissions disabling me from adding a printer to my network.  Printer is on and connected, but under devices there is no printer.  When I attempt to print, I am prompted to add printer.  When I attempt to add printer, access is denied.  Now I am unable to change permissions, access denied.  Essentially, I have locked myself out.  How do I fix this?

Thank you, again.

Ted...

Hi Ted,

To isolate your concern, what do you mean by "you have locked yourself out"?

For your printer concern, you may refer to the following links:

Let us know how it goes.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

After you try the "troubleshooters" recommended by the "Forum Moderator," come back and explain what you did to "change your permissions."

While you're at it, please also provide the following information:

• Edition of Windows, including whether 32-bit or 64-bit (if you're not sure, click the Start Orb, right-click "Computer" and select "Properties")
  • Whether your user account is an "Administrator" or "Standard user" (if you're not sure, open Control Panel, change to "View by small icons" at the top right, click on User Accounts, and look under the name of your User Account
  • What antivirus program you have, including version
  • What other security software is installed
  • How you've attempted to "change permissions"
  • The complete text of the "access denied" messages when you attempt to add a printer or when you attempt to change permissions
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, so, troubleshooting says to contact system administrator, cannot fix
network issue.  Troubleshooting also states printer is turned off, but it
is not and does not appear under devices.  Printer is connected, however,
if I try to print something, I am prompted to install a printer.  When I go
to devices to install printer, this is the error message I receive "Windows
can't open Add Printer. Access is denied."  Any other changes I attempt to
make, I receive, "Access denied."

32-bit, logged in as Administrator, Microsoft Security Essentials 4.10.209.0

So, how it all began was that it appeared I had multiple and duplicate
identities/accounts ??? linked to my homegroup with a variety of
permissions.  Like an idiot, I decided I would get rid of or attempt to
change those permissions and in essence, I believe I changed my own
permissions which restrict my ability as the administrator to perform
certain tasks, ex. Add Printer.

I am identified as being a part of a "workgroup", however, the network
states "homegroup."  I don't know whether that makes a difference or not.
And, the home network only consists of my personal computer connected
directly to the modem, my lap top and my wife's laptop.  Occasionally yet
rarely will someone else connect to the network and I only want to allow
those individuals to have access to the printer.  I'm not exactly sure what
I have done, at this point.  I occasionally have issues with my printer and
I have recently changed internet providers wherein another network had to
be created.

I hope some of this information helps with a diagnosis.  I certainly don't
want to send anyone barking up the wrong tree.  Thank you.

Ted...

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds like you're a victim of the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" syndrome.

Without knowing exactly what you did, the straightforward thing to do at this point is to create a new user account -- assuming that you retain enough "administrator" rights to do that.

Follow the instructions here under "My computer is in a workgroup" -- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

Notes:

1. If you can't get past step 2 because you don't have administrator rights, see the advice below
  2. In the short paragraph under "Copy files to the new user profile," you'll see the admonition that you "must have at least three user accounts on the computer to complete these steps, including the new account you just created."  You should ALWAYS have an extra account with "administrator" rights that you rarely use (so it has a low probability of becoming corrupted).  The standard advice is that for maximum safety, your everyday account should be a "Standard user" account, but not everyone follows that advice.  No matter whether your everyday account is a "Standard user" or an "administrator," you should have a spare "administrator" account.

If you don't have an uncorrupted "administrator" account, you'll have to activate the built-in account named "Administrator."  By default, Windows 7 keeps this account disabled.  Without "administrator" rights, however, it's a bit tricky to activate the "Administrator" account.  Do you have a Windows 7 "system repair disc"?  Do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD?  If you don't have either of these, all is still not lost.  If you're in this position, post back for further instructions.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

P.S.:

A "workgroup" is what Microsoft calls a peer-to-peer local area network.  This is what virtually all home users of Windows computers have.  The alternative is a "domain network," in which there is a central "domain server" computer, usually managed by a network administrator.

"HomeGroup" is a feature that Microsoft introduced with Windows 7.  It is a simplified method of creating a local area network.  A "HomeGroup" and a "workgroup" are very similar but not identical (which is why the same collection of Windows 7 computers may be identified as belonging both to a workgroup and a HomeGroup).  See http://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/networking-basic/differences-between-workgroup-and-homegroup.html and/or http://www.windowspasswordsrecovery.com/win8-tips/what-is-the-difference-between-a-domain-a-workgroup-and-a-homegroup.html

If you want someone to be able to access your printer over your network but not able to access files on your two laptops, that can be done (NOT with the HomeGroup), but let's leave that until your current problem is sorted out.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, yes, I am definitely my own worst enemy.  I was able to create new Admin and Standard User accounts.  I also already had a guest account that was not turned on.  So, I now have four user accounts, actually five, one being "Public."  Logged into new standard user to copy files from original admin to new admin, but not sure if that was successful or not.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Ted...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You need to be logged on as an "administrator" user to copy files from one user account to another.

Did you actually create an account named "Public" or are you just looking at Windows Explorer?  Having an account named "Public" will cause you a fair amount of confusion, because by default Windows 7 comes with a set of "Public" folders (in Windows XP, these used to be called "All Users"). 

Assume that you have the following accounts (Guest should remain "off")

OldTed (administrator)  (corrupt in some way)

OldKids (standard user)

NewTed (administrator)

NewKids (standard user)

What you should do is to create yet another new administrator account, for example, SpareAdmin.

An advisable step omitted from the Microsoft instructions (sorry, I forgot to mention this earlier) is to log into and out of each of the new accounts before you copy the files.

Log into SpareAdmin and copy the files from OldTed to NewTed (except for the the 3 Ntuser files).

If you think that the OldKids account was also corrupted in some way, copy the files from OldKids to NewKids.  You can do this while logged into either NewTed or SpareAdmin

As to whether you were successful or not, log out of all accounts, then log back in to NewTed.  Are your files where you expect them to be, e.g., in My Documents?

Can you add a printer while logged in as NewTed (which, after all, was the point of this exercise)?

Once things have settled down and you're certain that all the files are properly in their new accounts, go back to Control Panel > User Accounts (while logged in as NewTed) and delete OldTed and OldKids. 

If  you like, after that, you can use Windows Explorer to delete whatever remains of the file structure relating to those two old accounts under C:\Users.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, I didn't create a "Public."  I do have an "All Users", as well, though.  I did all of the above correctly or at least I think I did, but to no avail.  It does not appear all files were moved over, but it does appear the nat files followed anyway and I'm still being denied access.  I'm about bent on this task for now, I'll come back to it later.  If you can't tell, this is not exactly my forte.  Thank you very much for your efforts, I really appreciate it.  Have a great evening.

Ted...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just tried to print from my laptop, which I am also unable to do.  I received an error message stating there was a conflict with the wifi and printer being on different channels.  I attempted to have my laptop connect/install, however, it is not picking the printer up.  That being said, I've been having wifi issues of late with the new service provider.  Freaking irritating, man!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"the wifi and printer being on different channels" would be pretty strange. Please provide the complete message. Did you make any manual changes to the printer's configuration?
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2024 Views 4,856 Applies to: