Windows Booting very slow after 2004 update ,

My Windows 10 starting on very slow after windows 10 , 2004 update now what i do ?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Harshit,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I want to apologize if you encountered this issue. I understand you have a problem with slow boot up. When was the last time your computer was working properly?

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)
Press WIN+R to open Run then type: cmd
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to Run as administrator
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

Restore and repair system files
Press WIN+R to open Run then type: cmd
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to Run as administrator
Type:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/400201...

If it doesn't work, Please consider to go back to the previous version of Windows
Press Start then search Recovery Options
Under Go back to the previous version of Windows
Click "Get Started"

Important: Back up your personal data and files to an external hard drive, USB thumb drive, or cloud location (such as OneDrive) before you begin any reinstall of Windows 10 just in case something went wrong.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 10 has becoming increasingly slower with each version update. 

The latest build has slowed my computer down to the point it's nearly usable. The computer is less than a year old. 

The hard drive is constantly sitting at 100% usage and there is a really bad memory leak where the system will use up all available memory (16GB) within a couple of hours. 

I did a full Windows 10 re-install and after waiting 12 hours for it complete - the problem only got a lot worse. 

Windows 10 is fundamentally broken. 

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Sir, 

My system was very good performance before Windows Build Version 2004. Now after updating my system is 20 times slower than before. I have done every aspect system repair command but nothing is working. I have applied following command below

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:repairSource\install.wim

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:repairSource\install.wim /LimitAccess

sfc /scannow

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows isn't becoming slower. That's a misconception !

I'm a programmer and I had (and still have) Windows 10 from it's first release. I've gone through all the updates and versions and the system kept it's parameters without exceptions.

Now I've installed v 2004, It's a fresh install because lately I've done some experiments with my PC and .... you get the picture.

The system has the same speed, with a slightly noticeable "pause" when you start a program or app than the 1909.

If you're still running on HDD, please change it immediately with an SSD.

Two things I've always done, right after a fresh install or major update of Windows:
1. Stopped and disabled SysMain service, or SuperFetch how it was called in early versions.
2. Stopped and disabled indexing service.

As a professional, I've never understood the role of SuperFetch (SysMain), other than keeping my drive bussy all the time. And the indexing service is just lame. I mean, if I don't know to organize and label my stuff it's my problem. That's my point of view, anyway.

Right after stopping SysMain, you drive will breath again. Trust me on this one.

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, the problem seems to be HDD related, on 2 desktop PCs and one laptop, I have Windows of one desktop PC and the laptop on SSD, and the other desktop PC on HDD. The HDD desktop is slightly more powerful than the laptop but way less powerful than the ssd desktop. On both ssd systems boot load times and operations were mostly unaffected by the update. On the HDD desktop, it's now taking up to 5 minutes instead of 30-50 seconds to completely load everything on boot after the 2004 update. while loading everything while being booted up my HDD now sits at 100% and everything takes forever to load. SSDs are cheap enough now, my advice would just to get 1 120Gb or 240Gb ssd (even sata ones are fine) and to keep your hdd as more storage. Windows has moved on from being installed on HDD.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I running a laptop with single hard drive bay - in order to upgrade I would need to buy a 1TB SSD hard drive, which I cannot afford to do this year. 

Basically, tough luck from Microsoft. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Great, useful info from @LucianMinea. I did this on my desktop, that was suffering badly from horrible restart times, many instances of "Not Responding" stalls on browsers, office programs, and File Explorer itself, PLUS Task Manager showing very high System Interrupts for 10 to 15 seconds until it settled down, but still bursts form 6 to 12%.

After disabling the said services, everything went back to normal with retsart and boot times back to normal, and no "Not Responding" or other issues as mentioned above. The System Interrupts hog in Task Manager is NEVER seen now, and I only ever see around 0.1%

I can only conclude that there is a big conflict between the File Explorer interfaces, and the inter-related new Search and Search Indexing design that came in with 2004, along with the SysMain caching read/writes getting in the way.

NOTE: MUST also do a stop and change to manual on the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service too, IF running,  BEFORE stopping and disabling Windows Search service, as the dependency will slow down the stop of Windows Search, and risk a Blue Screen 133 bug-check in DPC_WATCHDOG.

I DO plan to change my systems to SSD at the end of the year, so should have even better performance, as he recomends.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a programmer and I had (and still have) Windows 10 from it's first release. I've gone through all the updates and versions and the system kept it's parameters without exceptions.

Now I've installed v 2004, It's a fresh install because lately I've done some experiments with my PC and .... you get the picture.

The system has the same speed, with a slightly noticeable "pause" when you start a program or app than the 1909.

Two things I've always done, right after a fresh install or major update of Windows:
1. Stopped and disabled SysMain service, or SuperFetch how it was called in early versions.

As a professional, I've never understood the role of SuperFetch (SysMain), other than keeping my drive bussy all the time. And the indexing service is just lame. I mean, if I don't know to organize and label my stuff it's my problem. That's my point of view, anyway.

Right after stopping SysMain, you drive will breath again. Trust me on this one.

IT WORKED !!!! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you!

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It does work for me but only for one day, following start up , boot time is back to 50 seconds. I am using western digital green ssd Ryzen 3 2200g with 16gb ram

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is what worked for me after the Windows 10 2004 update made two of my computers run as slow as molasses.

(1) Boot in Safe Mode

(2) Delete everything in the Windows prefetch folder.  The folder is usually at C:\Windows\Prefetch

(3) Reboot

Windows rebuilds the prefetch folder so deleting it will not do any harm.  However, if you feel squeamish about deleting it, then rename it and create a new, empty prefetch folder in its place.

I spent hours on the first computer before stumbling onto this.  When the Windows update, and slowness, hit the second computer I tried this fix first and it immediately sped up.

Hopefully, it will help you.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2020 Views 21,401 Applies to: