Windows always stick to top left corner of screen when opening, tried everything I know of

I've been having this problem for years where when an "open" window comes up on screen it always sticks to the top left corner and then I have to drag it back to the center. No matter what I do, this happens by default in any application when I'm trying to open something. If I'm in Photoshop and I try to open an image, the window that pops up defaults to the top left corner. If I open things in other programs, the same thing happens. Anybody else having this issue and how do I resolve it? It's a small thing but very annoying over years of having to constantly drag it back to the center every time. I'm on Windows 10 Professional latest version and this has happened on multiple computers running windows so it's just not this system.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Skareel. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor.

It's usually caused by something you've installed that's starting with WIndows and causing the WIndows to forget where they are programmed to open. Also any modifications you make of Windows will always come back to bite you with issues like this.

To try to fix it, see Step 4 here to turn off all Startup Freeloaders. Restart PC to test it. Drag the Windows to the size and position you want, then click the top right middle Maximize box a few times to program them to open there.

If it still doesn't work then see these options:
https://appuals.com/fix-windows-not-remembering... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001478.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzYchFJ_3Qw

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Greg for your response, been very difficult to get help on this. I'll give these suggestions a shot and post back what I find out from it. Where do I find step 4 for the startup?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry that the checklist link didn't stick above. It would be Step 4 in this checklist: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Greg,

So I tried turning off the startup services and items and the problem still happens. I tried cascade from the taskbar as well. In both the Photos app and Photoshop the same behavior still occurs where it sticks to the top left of the screen whenever I use the "open" window. I tried dragging the window to the center, double clicking the title bar to maximize back and forth a couple times, but that doesn't do anything. I also restarted in safe mode to see if that changed anything but I can't open the photos app in safe mode and it had no effect on Photoshop's open window.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When nothing works it usually means a program conflict, possibly not even one that starts with WIndows.

What I'd do if nothing else in the steps and tutorials I gave helps is set up Autosizer to open the affected programs to the size and position you want:
http://www.southbaypc.com/autosizer/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What program conflict could do this? It happens in every application that I try to open things in. I just tested it in Davinci Resolve as well and the same thing happens. If it's happening in the default Photos app for windows, it has to be something going on with the operating system. Since I disabled all the startup stuff and it's still occurring, where would I look next?

Can you try going into the photos app and go to import > files from a folder. Does it default to the top left corner of the screen? If you drag it to the center and close it and then reopen, does it go back to top left?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I Import > From a Folder it opens the mini-Explorer in top left corner. If it resize and move it to center, then close and reopen, it starts to go to top left corner but then relocates to the place and size I moved it.

This means that the default of being able to reposition and resize a folder is being remembered even against the program's default open location. This is how Windows should work, and when it doesn't it's almost always been due to a program conflict. If turning off all Startups (in all four locations I list where they can hide now) doesn't work then I would use Autosizer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok I tested this out with a new user account. I created a local test account and tried opening a window in Photos and Photoshop. It defaults to top left but when I put it in the middle and tried again, it remembered where I put it. So, something is going on with my user profile that is causing this to happen but I don't know where to look next in my user account to find out what is causing this issue. Since the same programs are on this computer whether I'm logged into the test account or my main account, something has to be wrong in my user profile.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I Import > From a Folder it opens the mini-Explorer in top left corner. If it resize and move it to center, then close and reopen, it starts to go to top left corner but then relocates to the place and size I moved it.

This means that the default of being able to reposition and resize a folder is being remembered even against the program's default open location. This is how Windows should work, and when it doesn't it's almost always been due to a program conflict. If turning off all Startups (in all four locations I list where they can hide now) doesn't work then I would use Autosizer.

I believe I found the issue. It's causing by display scaling in windows. I always use display scaling because 100% is too small on high resolution monitors. When I turn the scaling to 100%, it remembers the window location. When I set it to 125%, it won't remember it. This looks like a bug in Windows and would explain why some people don't see it happening. I'm guessing you're using 100%? How can we get in touch with Microsoft to fix this?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good find.  My display scaling is 117% so there may be a threshold that triggers it near there.  Anyway I'll add this to the watch/fix list for Window sizing.

If you want to report this to Microsoft use the Feedback Hub app in Start Menu where developers are tasked to process consumer feedback. They will not even see it here. This is a tech forums staffed mostly by volunteers trying to help others with your problems.

If you want to post back a Share link from your Feedback here others who find this thread can vote it up and add to it.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 25,027 Applies to: