Windows 98

Hello. I have an old laptop which when bought had Windows 7 but now has Windows 10. I want it to only use to play a Windows 98 game (age of empires). I have the original Windows 98 operating system disc. I imagine that Windows 10 will be taking up memory? What would be the best way to install 98. I haven’t used a PC for years so am away out the loop when it comes to Windows. TIA Jim

|

Hello. Windows is backwards compatable. Something MS did really well was Compatablity mode. I play 7 kingdoms just fine. You should try it 7kfans.com. Things like starcraft and warcraft, age of empires play fine. I even played elder scrolls dagger fall. I play android games through the MSI app player "bluestacks". Any whoo If you do have "game pass ultamate" age of empires 1/2/3 is available through the MS_store included with game pass.

MSI_Katana_17_B13VFK=[i7_13620H,16GB,8GB_GPU,1TB_NVMe]
I am a normal answers member 😁
🐈 Cattery_Devloper 🐈

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you really want to use the computer only for Windows 98 games, you can try a clean install of Windows 98 on that computer. Your games will run best on the operating system for which they were designed. If the computer originally shipped with Windows 7, Windows 98 may have drivers for the hardware. But then again, it may not. You won't know for sure until you try to install Windows 98.

Or this: Games for Windows 98 will probably play just as well on Windows 7, so you could install the original Windows 7, and you won't have concerns about hardware.

You have other choices: You can keep the computer at Windows 10 and make a Windows 98 virtual machine. I have done this myself. Your games will probably run just as well as they ran on a physical Windows 98 computer, but you won't know for sure until you try.

Then there is compatibility mode in Windows 10. Compatibility mode might help your game to install and run, but it won't run well, because Compatibility Mode is not nearly the equivalent of the original operating system.

Two caveats:

You may or may not be able to activate the old operating systems, or even the old games, if they originally required activation, but since you're only doing this to be able to run old Windows 98 games, I don't think you need to be concerned about that.

Also, you do know, of course, that Windows operating systems earlier than Windows 10 are not supported and not safe to use with the internet.

Preparation is the nemesis of failure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I'm Elise, a fellow user like yourself and I'd be happy to help with your issue.

The best way to do this is to use a virtual machine, this lets you run Windows 98 on top of the existing Windows 10 installation without affecting it.

You can download free virtualisation software such as VirtualBox:

https://www.virtualbox.org

You then create a virtual machine and use the Windows 98 disk to install Windows on the virtual machine.
There is a tutorial available here if you're not familiar with the software:

https://socket3.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/instal...

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind Regards,
Elise

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Elise

Thanks very much for your help. It’s much appreciated. I will see how I get on. Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. Chien

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try things out.

Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me. I will give it a go. Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2024 Views 131 Applies to: