Windows 98 Virtual PC on Virtualbox

Hi, my name is Tyler Hansen.

I am trying to download a Windows 98 virtual PC on my Windows 10 computer with the goal of being able to run all of my old CD-Rom games.  I was successfully able to complete the setup for Windows 98 on Virtualbox 6.1 following a tutorial on Youtube.  However, when I try and run one of my discs from my disc drives, it brings up the installation and takes me through it, but when I try running the game, it doesn't work properly.  This includes either not having sound in the game or the sound in the game cutting in and out.  Overall, the disc isn't behaving like it should after I installed it.  I know it is possible to run CD-Rom discs on a virtual PC because I've seen in done in videos before.  I feel like I am missing something but I can't figure out what it is.  None of the tutorials are giving clear instructions on how to run pc games from the CD-Rom.  Is there a step I missed somewhere? Please let me know what it is that I'm supposed to do.  I've tried a bunch of different things but nothing seems to be working.  Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Quick searching says that VirtualBox does not have Guest Additions for Windows 98. Guest additions are used by virtualisation software to add things like sound drivers and smoother mouse movement.

VMware Player is another virtualisation platform that does have tooling for Windows 98. But honestly, rather than trying to virtualise all of Windows 98, you may have better luck with DOSBox. It's a program designed for your exact scenario, wanting to play old games. You may want to check out the community for DOSBox and what they can say about your old games.

https://www.dosbox.com/

"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can't install a virtual PC on Windows 10.

Instead, create your own virtual PC and install Windows 98 into your virtual PC. I get out my Win98 virtual machine when I feel like playing my ancient, 2D, low resolution games. Ah, life was so much simpler then!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the info!  The process for creating a virtual PC is indeed increadibly time-consuming and strenuous.  If this other method you suggested with using DOSbox will work, I will give it a shot.  I will get back to you if everything works out.  Thank you so much for your time!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!  So I just wanted to follow up on how things went with DOSBOX.  I tried following a step by step guide, but when I tried to set up installation for a program, I got the message "this game must be run with Microsoft Windows."  I think there might have been some confusion in my explanation for what I'm trying to do.  I have a bunch of old CD Rom games that are compatable for older versions of windows.  They were able to run on old Windows 98 and Windows Vista pcs I had as a kid.  I am not trying to run a DOS game.  What I'm trying to do is figure out a way to allow these old cd rom games to be played on my windows 10 pc.  Sorry for the confusion.  Hope this makes more sense.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's difficult to tell without knowing the game in question. You've tried searching online for <game name> Windows 10?
"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 20,828 Applies to: