Windows 8.1 Update causes internet connectivity problems

I have installed the mandatory 8.1 Update 3 times over the last month.. Each time it says it was successfully installed. However, after the restart, I can't access the internet. My computer, prior to the Update, always connected to my network automatically. After the Update I have no connection and no access to any networks.  After trying everything I can think of, I uninstall the Update- KB2919355- and restart. Immediately, my computer connects to my network and everything is back to normal. This has happened 3 times so I am confident that the Update is causing my problem. I am certainly no expert problemsolver but I tried all troubleshooter programs on the computer  checked out if my Norton A/V was at fault  , read the forums to see if anyone else reported this issue. I came up empty. I have no idea what to do. This Update is said to be critical and needed for any future security updates. My PC has an intel i7 processor, 8gb ram 1tb hd. It's about 16 months old , came with Windows 8 and has been updated automatically ever since . I maintain my computer regularly so that is not a problem. Does Microsoft not have customer support for solving the problems that they have created with this 8.1 Update? Anybody able to help solve my problem? I would  appreciate any advice. Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am having a similar problem. Windows 8.1 updated a whole bunch of things automatically and now I can't connect to the internet and trying to use the diagnosis tools does nothing to solve this.

Just built this computer last week, everything worked great until yesterday.

Deleted all of the updates that it installed (not seeing Update- KB2919355) and it's back to working.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problems for me with ie after April and May Updates. The most common is ie's opened tabs are NOT closing instantly but after a big delay(about 30 seconds). The tabs remain blank, the URL active in bar, but tabs or whole ie do not close. This does not happen every time but only at almost 10% of browsing day. There is also a big delay(about 25 seconds) at windows after showing desktop to "stabilize". For example if in that 25 sec's period I select a folder with many files the big RED delete X(not the close x) button is dim and becomes red after almost 25 sec's. Watching task manager and disk activity at this period the "thing" that works most is Windows Defender. It looks like it firstly scans files and then lets you delete. It is also very strange that Right click Delete option appears instantly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@MikeMiCal only: To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your own, new thread => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/after-april-updates-there-is-a-25-seconds-delay-in/4921bf5b-7a8f-4a83-9c74-c3057323c880  THX

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have once again tried to install the update. Same result. Had to use a restore point to get it back. Has anyone else experienced this? Any body have a solution?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have installed the mandatory 8.1 Update 3 times over the last month.. Each time it says it was successfully installed. However, after the restart, I can't access the internet...           

Assuming Win8.1 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did the computer come with Win8 (or Win8.1) preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win8 (or Win8.1), or did you upgrade a (e.g., Win7) computer to Win8?

1c. Assuming you started with Win8 => When (approx. date) was Win8.1 installed?

2. What is the full name of your currently-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (i.e., not Windows Defender!), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire?

3. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6. Is KB2961851, KB2962123, KB2957151, KB2939153; KB2925418 and/or KB2922229 listed inInstalled Updates (not Update History)? [1]

7a. Is Modern IE11 (AKA IE11 Metro) and Desktop IE11 working OK?

7b. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

8. Is Adobe Flash Player v13.0.0.214 for Internet Explorer installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

9. How does the computer connect to the internet (e.g., ADSL/cable broadband; dial-up; WiMAXX; mobile wireless)?  Is a router involved?

10. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

=======================================================
[1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delayed reply- I was very ill.

1a. November 2013

1b. Win8

1c. Not sure- shortly after it was available

2. Norton Internet Security- expires June 2015

3. none

4.no

5. no

6. KB2957151, KB2922229

7a.yes

7b. no

8.yes

9.ADSL/broadband using a combined modem/router from Bell Internet- wireless home network

10. maybe 2-3 times- CCleaner

I tried to load the 8.1 update KB2919355 again today and again it messed up my ability to access the internet. When I deleted it, my pc worked normally again.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

#6 was a YES or NO question. Are you telling us that KB2957151 & KB2922229 are listed in Installed Updates but KB2961851, KB2962123, KB2939153 & KB2925418 are not listed or...?

Do you have backups of ALL the changes CCleaner's Registry Cleaner has EVER made to the computer? [1]

Comment: Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not upgrading (or uninstalling) cleanly. The Norton "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

===========================================================
[1] Injudicious use of registry cleaners may be playing a role here. TIP: If you ever again think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, maximized, "swept" or optimised (it doesn't), read http://chris.pirillo.com/are-registry-cleaners-safe-to-use/ and/or http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why-i-dont-use-registry-cleaners/ then draw your own conclusions.  Related => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to load the 8.1 update KB2919355 again today and again it messed up my ability to access the internet. When I deleted it, my pc worked normally again.  

Interesting to see you have no problems when you remove KB2919355. Makes one wonder why "leftovers" of Norton or McAfee would only cause a problem when installing this update. Logically it would appear that is not the issue. There are thousands of posts on this forum related to this particular update which have nothing to do with "leftovers". You may want to contact Microsoft support about this issue. 

===============================================================

[1] TIP: If you find that a particular update causes problems in accessing the internet and your computer is operating fine and without any issues before the update and after you uninstall the update it could be the update itself which is causing the problem. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for replying. Re#6 That is what I'm telling you- only those two of the six updates you listed were actually listed in Installed Updates.

No, I don't have any backups, but my use of the CCleaner Registry Cleaner happened months ago and I haven't had any problems until I tried to download the compulsory 8.1Update KB2919355 in early May. When I delete the update or restore to a point prior to installing the update-VOILA-the problem disappears. The only conclusion is that the update is causing the problem.  How do I contact Microsoft Support without  having to pay to talk to someone about this problem? What other options do I have if I cant get this update to work?

I'm beginning to think my children and grandchildren are right.  I seem to be the only one left in my family still using Microsoft. Everyone else has switched to Apple products. I always resisted because I resented Apple's controlling nature but it's obvious that Microsoft is trying to manipulate and control as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Q: Are you telling us that KB2957151 & KB2922229 are listed in Installed Updates but KB2961851, KB2962123, KB2939153 & KB2925418 are not listed or...?
A: That is what I'm telling you- only those two of the six updates you listed were actually listed in Installed Updates.

1. Are KB2961851, KB2962123, KB2939153 and/or KB2925418 offered when you run a manual check for updates?  [YES/NO/SOME (specify)]

2. When (exact dates) were KB2957151 & KB2922229 installed according to Installed Updates?

3. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.54 (KB1231231)?

Based on your answers to my questions so far, your computer's missing at least four (4) critical security updates. As such...

The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

Comment: If you can get the missing updates installed without affecting your internet access, chances are installing KB2919355 won't affect your connection either.

Contact Microsoft Support IN RE KB2919355 => https://support.microsoft.com/ContactUs/TechnicalSupport?wa=wsignin1.0#gsproductselector/productid/509/versionid/17655

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 7,743 Applies to: