Windows 8.1 Update- BLACK SCREEN NO CURSOR

So I got a new Laptop: HP ENVY 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - Silver (Intel Core i5-4200U / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8)

I decided that I wanted to update to Windows 8.1, so I go to the online store and finally get it to download and install. As soon as it is done, it asks me to reboot, so I reboot it. Right after that, it seemed to be normal until I got a black screen.  I thought that it would last shortly, and then reboot with the Windows 8.1, however it has been on this black screen for almost 2 hours now. Another point to note is that there is No Cursor on the screen at all (I HAVE ALREADY TRIED THE F8 OR F9 SOLUTION, BUT IT IS USELESS)! Along with this, every so often, the laptop goes into sleep mode, and when I try to turn it on again, the same black screen comes back. PLEASE HELP ASAP. 

Hi,

1. When you say "THE F8 OR F9 SOLUTION" what exactly are you referring?
  2. Are you able to access the Advanced Boot options?
  3. When you say “laptop goes into sleep mode" what exactly are you referring to? Do you mean it boots to Windows 8 and then it goes to sleep mode?

Please post with the required information.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. I have heard of solutions in which one presses shift + F8 (and some shift + F9) , however they don't do anything to the black screen

2. Im not able to access ANYTHING. No mouse, no buttons work.

3. If I leave the black screen for a while without moving around on the trackpad, or pressing any buttons, the laptops black screen stays there, however I know that it is in sleep mode, because the power button starts to flash on the hardware. ALSO, as soon as I move the trackpad from sleep mode, it reawakens WITH THE SAME BLACK SCREEN.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issue. When I ran an update, the screen went black, but my music was still playing, so I believe it's just a problem with the graphics. My computer starts up normally (it even shows the hp logo), but then it goes black. I can still sign in using the fingerprint scanner so I'm fairly sure everything is normal except for the screen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To resolve this issue, you will need to boot into Safe Mode, and update the video card driver 
    1. Boot the PC while holding the Shift key
    2. Once the Recovery screen is displayed, click or tap on the See advanced repair options button. 
    3. Next, click or tap on the Troubleshoot button.
    4. In the troubleshoot menu, click or tap on Advanced options, 
    5. Then select Windows Startup Settings. 
    6. You will need be prompt to restart the PC. You will see a a boot option screen where you can select Safe Mode with Networking.
    7. While in Safe Mode with Networking, you need to download and install the latest video card drivers.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just tried that, everything is up to date... I've been running along with windows 8 for a month now, however My Laptop prompts me to update to 8.1 with notification screens!! I want to update, but im afraid it will go back to the black screen that I hate by now....

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This seems a lot like what is going on to me.

Recently the windows 8.1 update got through, after a constant fight not wanting it a friend hit the accept button. And now I am at this same black screen with a pointer on it. Well that is where these problems started.

I entered into command prompt and used MSCONFIG to get the computer to start in safe mode. After this now I never make it to a login screen and my screen remains black, feels like a step backwards. And safe mode is now the boot option of choice. 

Haven't found my way back to the command prompt screen or have anything that the computer will accept to access anything.

Wish the computer came with a windows 8 OS disk, if similar to past OS this should have been an easy fix.

Ethan

PS Ive tried re-booting while holding the shift key, no respons,I do hav a Asus G75 with an NVidia 770m and not an HP but it seemed to be a common suggestion on multiple threads on these forums.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Holding down the Shift Key does not work. I've tried f11 with no lucky. The only function keys that work is f9 and f10. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2023 Views 3,999 Applies to: