Windows 8.1 Update Agent Continually Requests Update, Latest Version Installed

After multiple issues with Windows Update failing to update, did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and proceeded to attempt to update from scratch.

Windows Update claimed it needed to update the Windows Update Agent, first. Fine, attempted that, it failed twice using the automatic updates, I ran the WIndows Update Troubleshooter several times, it fixed errors, but it still wouldn't update. So, installed the package manually using the standalone installer (Windows8-RT-KB2937636-x64.msu). The update took awhile, but it finished, then rebooted and was able to get to the 100% update progress on the splash screen.

I went back to Windows update to get the remainder of the updates only to find it is still claiming that Windows Update Agent itself needs to be updated (see screenshot):

I checked the version on wuapi.dll and it appears to be the latest  version 7.8.9200.16924 (implying the update was actually successful):

What do I need to do to force Windows Update to realize it is already updated, so I can proceed to get the additional updates the system needs?

Answer
Answer

I was able to fix this problem using PowerShell and the Get-WUInstall module, as described in this article: Windows 8.1 Update Fix

I ran the Get-WUInstall module and installed all the updates manually, bypassing the Windows Update Agent, I needed to run the commands twice, repeating the procedure after a reboot. After that the Windows Update Agent recognized it's proper version and allowed me to install updates.

Because this was a fresh install from the HP recovery image and the machine was having issues with Windows Update previously, my advice would be to avoid Windows 8.1 on any HP 2000 notebooks, unless you have plenty of time to troubleshoot and research obscure problems with core Windows files, not to mention are willing to lose personal data from frequent reinstalls. I don't even want to calculate the hours that were lost to running the DISM and SFC tools multiple times prior to reinstallation.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2019 Views 1,432 Applies to: