WIndows 8.1 Store App won't "install" free games

Lately the "Store" app won't download/install "free" games even though it first tells me I "own" this app.  It appears to start to install, then quits and I get a message that "something happened" and my "purchase" couldn't be completed.  Please do not offer the "Date & Time Check" or the "Clear Store Cache" or the "Disable Proxy" suggestions - they do NOT work.  Thank you for your help.

Hi,

Listed below are some causes why can't download or install an application from the Windows store:

• Microsoft account is not yet verified on the computer.
  • Date and time is not properly set up.
  • Windows store cache is damage.

We suggest running the troubleshooter for Windows apps that can help you install the games that you want on the Windows Store. Furthermore, you can also follow the methods provided on this thread that was able to help other people with same concern that you have.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you not actually "read" my question?  I specifically mentioned that "Date and Time" and "Clear Cache" suggestions do NOT work.  And, OF COURSE, the Microsoft account is verified - how else would I have been using these features for years and years?  And, yes, the troubleshooter was also used prior to asking this question.

Please - will someone give some serious thought to this concern as I has surfaced many times in the forums - and give some practical, helpful answers to the problem?

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We recommend re-registering the Windows Store to repair and remove the error that you received. Here are the steps to re-register it:

1. Press Windows key + Q.
  2. Type in Command Prompt, right click on it and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  3. On the command prompt window, enter the following command: PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}
  4. Wait for the process to complete, then restart the computer.
  5. Try installing or downloading on Windows Store again.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 25, 2024 Views 148 Applies to: