Windows 8.1 Miracast on HP dv6-7250ca Will Not Connect to Roku 2

I am posting this as a Windows...Network issue, because I think wireless screen mirroring is effectively peer-to-peer networking.  I apologize if there is a better forum for this.

I have the subject laptop and I believe that via Miracast I should be able to mirror my screen on our TV through a Roku 2 connected to it.  I also have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and I have no problem with screen mirroring through the Roku 2.  Both computers are currently running Windows 8.1(64-bit) OS, both computers found the Roku 2, and the Roku 2 was successfully added as a wireless (Project) device.

The dv6-7250ca does see the Roku 2 and does attempt to connect to it for screen mirroring.  The computer indicates 'connecting' while the Roku 2 sees the attempt and shows its 'mirroring' image on the TV screen but, after a few seconds, it simply stops with the progress bar on the TV screen at only ~30% complete and with no actual computer screen mirroring having occurred.  I then check the Roku device status on my computer and it indicates 'not connected'.

Because the Surface does connect and its screen is mirrored on the TV, the problem must be with the HP dv6-7250ca.  Can anyone provide suggestions as to why it may be failing to connect with the HP notebook computer?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing the issue on Miracast.

I will certainly help you with this.

Refer the link and check if it helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15053/windows-8-project-wireless-screen-miracast

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Shubham,

Thank you for the reply.

My HP computer is apparently compatible with Miracast as I had mentioned that it does provide the option to 'Add a Wireless Display' under Project, and I also checked on the Intel website to confirm that the processor and graphics engine are compatible with WiDi which supports Miracast.

However, the computer OS was upgraded to Win8.1 from Win8.  I have done all of the 'important' upgrades but not all of the optional ones, as previous experiences with optional upgrades have needlessly and adversely affected computer performance.

So, before I do the 122 outstanding optional upgrades, can you advise which ones may be pertinent to or required for Miracast to function properly?

Thank you.  Your assistance is much appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As much as I disliked the idea, I bit the bullet and installedall updates.  I tried screen mirroring again but the result was the same.

Doing a clean boot did not resolve the problem.

Booting in Safe Mode with Networking prevented me from being able to access the screen mirroring option.

In addition to Windows built-in Defender, I also run SpyBot S&D, and I disabled the latter with no improvement in the situation.

As much as I would have liked to resolve this for a better understanding of the issue and for those not moving to Windows 10, I was running out of time; so, I opted to end this effort and instead I spent several hours last night upgrading the laptop to Windows 10.

Serendipitously, I am happy to report that screen mirroring is functioning properly under Windows 10 on this computer.

Again, many thanks for your efforts to resolve this even though it remains unresolved for Win8.1 on this computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your update on the issue.

Glad to know that you resolve the issue by upgrading to Windows 10. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future. We'll be more than happy to assist you again.

Thanks again for sharing with us!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2018 Views 137 Applies to: