Windows 8.1 Locked out of Microsoft account

Hi,

I am an intermediate PC user and am extremely dissapointed with Windows 8.1, and will definitely never buy any PC with Windows again.

I had 8.1 on my work PC.  I was forced to create a outlook.com user account upon the upgrade.  Before you say "You dont have to!", yes you do.  It doesn't let you pass that portion of the setup unless you enter an account.  Now I know you can enter an incorrect accoutn a few times and it will let you through, but come on.  That is absolutely stupid if its the only way to bypass the MS accoutn setup.

This was a work PC, and so I entered bogus information when filling out the info.  I don't want Microsoft to have my work info.  A few weeks ago I needed to change my password to allow my coworkers to access it, and now no one remembers it.  Obviously, the online reset password is useless as the account was created JUST for this PC; and so I do not have any email/contact info they can cross check.

I have tried NTpasswd, Ophtcrack and all report that my user account has no password - WHICH IT DOESNT!  Only the associated Microsoft account does.  BUT the login screen ONLY displays the login for the Microsoft account.

Start in Safe Mode...same ordeal, only displays the login info for the one Microsoft account.

I restart with into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and I can access Command Prompt as an Administrator, since it only asks for your local password.  I have went in, changed HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserSwitch\Enabled to 1, and saved.  When I restart, I am greeted with the same damn login screen for my single Microsoft account.

I used "net user username /add", created an extra user, restarted, but am again greeted with the single login screen.

After going back into command prompt and relaunching regedit, I see that none of the changes I am making (as an administrator) are being saved.  Every time I reset the computer, the registry is reset.

This has driven me insane, mostly because it was forced on me by a damn microsoft update.  I hope someone at Microsoft was fired for this decision.  From looking online I can see that I am definitely not the only one suffering from this issue.

Any other suggestions are welcome and will be much appreciated.  Oh, and yes I am using a new microsoft account to post this,

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Wow - I have finally found a way to get around this.  Phew.

this is for people who have lost or forgotten their Microsoft Account password, and can not recover it via the Microsoft website.  You will need your Local account password.

For posterity, I will post the directions here.  the process consists of:

-Logging on to Safe Mode / command prompt

-tricking Windows to allow you command line access when you are not in Safe Mode

-Using command line access to generate a new account, which will then be used to recover/remove/recreate your origianl account.

Ive only done this once, and it was a shaky ride.  So some items may be different.

1.  At the login screen, click the power icon in the bottom right, then hold shift while clicking Restart

2.  You will be brought to a Restore menu upon rebooting.  Click Troubleshoot then Command Prompt.  

Your PC will restart again, and it will bring up a different login screen - this time the login screen asks for your Local account password (even though it displays your MS email address).

3.  You will be at command prompt.  Usually you can create new accounts here - using "net user username /add" or some variant.  But I found that no changes I made to the registry were saved once I restarted, so that was useless.  What we can do is move around some files:

Assuming Windows is on C drive, enter at the x:\windows\system32 prompt:

-"C:"

this will move the prompt to the C drive

-"cd windows\system32"

-"copy cmd.exe cmd.exe.original"

The above line copies command prompt application

-"copy utilman.exe utilman.exe.original"

The above makes a copy of utilman.exe - a file you can access from the login screen.

-"del Utilman.exe"

-"ren cmd.exe.original utilman.exe"

The above will make what was previously utilman.exe command prompt.

-"exit"

to restart the computer

4.  When you restart, you can access the command prompt at the login window by clicking the Ease of Access button in the bottom left of the screen.  Do it.

5.  At this command prompt, type in "netplwiz" and push enter.  This opens ip the User Accounts administration.

You should be homefree from here, but in case you need a few more hints:

-Go to Advanced, and check the Secure Sign In box to require Ctl+alt+del to login

-Add a new user, with an administrative provelages.

When you restart you should be able to login as the other admin account you just created.  I deleted my old account, and then dragged all my files from my old user accont (C:\Users\olduser\Documents, \Desktop, etc) to my new account.

Hope this can help someone else out there who have fallen victim to this terrible policy of Microsofts.  And I hope Microsoft will stop being so nosy about my personal info.  At least release a "business" version of Windows that isnt doused in this nonsense.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 1,992 Applies to: