Windows 8.1 Lock Screen & Sleep Timer

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 and no longer can get the lock screen I want. Also, when I leave the machine for a minute or two, it goes into sleep mode and I must use a pin to get the screen active. This is a royal PITA. Thanks

Hi,

1.      What happens when you set a lock screen? Do you receive any error message/code?

2.      Is this issue specific to any particular image?

You must enter the pin after computer wakes from sleep because password prompt is enabled in the power plan settings. I would suggest you to refer to the steps and check if it helps.

a)      Open Power Options by pressing Windows key + X and then clicking Power Options.

b)      On the Select a power plan page, in the task pane, click Require a password on wakeup.

c)      If necessary, click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

d)      On the Password protection on Wakeup page, click Don't require a password.

e)      Click Save changes.

Reply with more information to help you better.

Regards,
Anil

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

1.      What happens when you set a lock screen? Do you receive any error message/code?

2.      Is this issue specific to any particular image?

You must enter the pin after computer wakes from sleep because password prompt is enabled in the power plan settings. I would suggest you to refer to the steps and check if it helps.

a)      Open Power Options by pressing Windows key + X and then clicking Power Options.

b)      On the Select a power plan page, in the task pane, click Require a password on wakeup.

c)      If necessary, click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

d)      On the Password protection on Wakeup page, click Don't require a password.

e)      Click Save changes.

Reply with more information to help you better.

re #:1 I have not found a way to set a lock screen. I turn the machine on and the first screen that comes up is some kind of rainbow pattern of circles. This is one screen that I would like to change to something I like.

This screen has an icon (lower left quarter of the screen) that when you click on it, the lock screen with my log-in tile and one for HP comes up. I was able to change the background color for the complete screen to my preferred color (over 15 years using the same color). My log-in tile has a picture that I want, but truncates/crops and sizes the picture to fit the tile and it looks bad. I would like to change the size of the tile, or have the software size the picture to fit. The software does great with the same picture when it is used as wallpaper for the desktop.

Items a thru e worked great. This problem occurred when I upgraded to 8.1. It did not preserve my power settings. Also, I am not sure if 8.1 completely upgraded 8.0 to the pro version - which was installed on the machine. The machine came with 8.0 already installed, but it was not the pro version. I used my purchased pro version to upgrade the machine. I am not sure if that is the correct way to do it.

Thanks very much for the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2022 Views 5,462 Applies to: