Windows 8.1 local user login very slow after restart

Only after a restart, not a shutdown and manual start, windows takes an extremely long time to log in. First some info on my computer, I have a Toshiba S70-A laptop with an Intel core I5-3230M, 16GB of Ram, a Samsung 850 pro 512GB SSD, an Nvidia Geforce 740M graphics card. My machine doesn't have any malware that I have found so far using windows defender or malwarebytes. During a normal start up my computer boots in a couple of seconds and also logins in very fast, but after restart it's slow. I tried to open task manager after login to see what programs are eating up processing power or memory but I cannot find anything that could be the culprit. 

Any help would be appreciated on pinpointing the issue. 

Something I'm not sure if it could interfere but I do have features like RAPID mode enabled on my SSD

Hi Darin,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Communities.

I understand the computer startup is slow only after you restart Windows.

I would suggest you to make sure Fast Startup is enabled. Fast Startup (hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) is a feature in Windows 8 to help your PC start up faster after restart your computer
a)      Hold Windows key + X and select Control Panel (icons view), and click on the Power Options icon.

b)      Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons does link on the left side.

c)       If prompted by UAC (User Account Control), then click/tap on Yes.

d)      On Define power buttons and turn on password protection window, under shutdown settings uncheck the option Turn On fast startup.

e)       Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: It is is already enabled, then, please turn it off and check if you are facing the same issue.

Let us know the result. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The setting was on and turning it off did not fix the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It is normal for your machine to boot up much faster from being shutdown than from a restart...

This is because of the Fast Startup RajithR mentioned... It accelerates the boot after a shutdown, but does not function with a restart...

Depending on the hardware and etc., the difference can be small, or it can be significant...

How much difference is there ?

Just a quick point... the shutdown in Win 8\8.1\10 is different than previous versions... It is kind of a combination of Shutdown and Hibernation... As a result, a lot of the drivers and etc. basically stay loaded...

Powering on the machine just turns them back on... without actually having to load\install...

Much faster...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See and my issue starts once i get to the login screen, are there certain services i can delay from starting so windows logs me in faster?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Probably, but I don't want to say... It is possible to go to SERVICES in Administrative Tools, and set some of the processes to a "DELAYED" start... Try at your own risk though... make good notes as to any changes...

If you are using a Microsoft Account to log in, there may not be much you can do...

The drivers need to load for your internet adapter before you can login....

Switching to a Local Account with a normal type password might help... no connection required.

How much longer are we talking about for the machine to get to the Start or Desktop ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2020 Views 1,676 Applies to: