windows 8.1 - how to change network type?

When I connect my Windows 8.1 laptop to my home wifi network, Kaspersky Internet Security warns me that it is a public network and may be insecure. Obviously I know it's perfectly safe - it's my home network and it's WPA secured. I assume this is happening because Windows is seeing it as a public network instead of a home network. In older versions of Windows you used to be able to change the network type i.e. home, public, work etc., but I can't figure out how to do it in Windows 8.1. Can anyone help?

Answer
Answer

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your concern here at the Microsoft Community forum. Let me assist you with your concern.

Windows 8.1 sets the appropriate firewall and security settings for the type of network that you connected to. To change a wireless network connection location from public to private, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key +X, select control panel.

2. Click on ‘choose home group and sharing settings’ under ‘network and internet’.

3. Now, if you are in a public network, you will get an option to change the network location to private.

4. Click on yes and follow the prompts.

You can also refer to this article for more information on sharing settings in Windows 8.1:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/find-pcs-devices-content-on-network

I would like you to refer the suggestion provided by OriginalGodlike replied on November 28, 2012 from this thread.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/cant-change-network-type-in-windows-8/2d07a961-62e5-4d0b-926f-0e2f63116b02

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2020 Views 17,213 Applies to: