Windows 8.1 - Cannot access administrator account

I have a new toshiba laptop & have been trying to get into the admin account & it won't give me that option.  I can't change the one account I can use to admin.  I can't do anything with this laptop now.  I can't even find a way to restore the laptop to it's original state.  What can I do?

Hi Mary,

Since Stan's question here is answered, I'm broke yours off into a new conversation.  By the way, I see that this is your first post here.  Welcome to our community!

I would ask you to try these steps and let me know if it helps.

If there are no Administrator accounts on the system, you can boot to Safe Mode to access the Built-in Administrator account.  From this fail-safe account, you can force-reset your account's password.

1. Press +I to display the Settings charm menu.
  2. Click the Power Options icon, then hold down the Shift Key while you click the Restart option. Keep holding shift until the screen says it is restarting.
  3. On the first screen that appears, select Troubleshoot, then select Advanced Options. Finally pick Startup Settings and click the Restart Button.
  4. On the next screen, press the Number 4 Key to choose Safe Mode.

Now that you are in safe mode, you can use the built-in backup Administrator account to perform you necessary recovery. The built in Administrator account should not be used for any other purpose, or it won't be available in situations like this when you need it.

1. At the login screen, click the Arrow Icon and select the Administrator account.
  2. After Safe Mode starts, press +W and open Control Panel / User Accounts.
  3. Select Manage another account and select the account you wish to change to an Administrator account. You can also use the Change Password option here to reset the other account's password.

When you're done, restart the computer normally.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried the above like Stan and had no luck.  It would not let me into the admin account or make any changes.  I am now trying to reset the computer to its original state.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides (or the manufacturer's Web Site) for instructions.  Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first.  Unfortunately upgrading to Windows 8.1 may lose such Recovery Partition.

These options are built-in to Windows 8 also.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Windows 8.1 Update Leaves OEM Owners With Broken Restore Function
http://www.technologytell.com/gadgets/133905/windows-8-1-update-leaves-oem-owners-with-broken-restore-function/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If there is an active administrator account, will this delete any programs on the administrator?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lauren,

This post was created three years ago and might have outdated troubleshooting steps regarding the issue. To get latest responses or troubleshooting steps, we suggest that you create a new thread.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to quickly answer your question, none of the steps I mentioned above here for Windows 8.1 will lose any of your programs.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2024 Views 5,047 Applies to: