Windows 8.1 blue screen at boot

So I managed to install Windows 8.1 Pro from Windows 8 Pro, unaware of potential problems like blue screens at installation. It did failed at the very first reboot, my laptop just stuck at Asus logo (it's N43SL by the way), but after forced shutdown the installation continued and finally completed after 2 hours without further errors. Windows worked fine without issues. 

Up until I started up my laptop after a normal shutdown and it didn't recognize any USB devices (mouse, headset). This occasionally (but rarely) happens on Windows 8 and is easily cured by restarting my laptop, so I did that. Suddenly, when the blue Windows 8 logo appeared, I was presented with a blue screen, which I didn't manage to see the error message and code since it happens very quickly, and my laptop restarted. The blue screen appeared again, and after restarting I was presented with a recovery screen. Restarting didn't help; the pattern reoccured, so now I'm trying to perform a startup recovery. After checking disk, I was offered the option to use System Restore. At the time I'm writing this, it's still running for about 30 minutes, with no text at all in my screen and no loading circle. 

Oh, and it just failed. Safe mode also failed to boot, following the same pattern.

I regret myself of not creating the recovery disk for Win 8.1 immediately (I do have the Win 8 recovery disk), so what any other options left before I must perform a Refresh? Will Refresh revert my Windows back to 8.1 or 8?

Thank you, 

Update:
It seems Windows 8.1 refuses to perform a Refresh using Windows 8 installation disk or recovery disk, so I'm left with the option to reinstall Windows 8 from scratch... 

Update:
I managed to use Windows 8 installation disk to reach Refresh option, but it says "The drive is locked, unlock it first." I can't figure out how to unlock it after searching here for similar problems. Any suggestions?

I'm obtaining a Windows 8.1 ISO from Dreamsparks, maybe it will work. 

Update:
I can finally run Refresh, but only at 2% it was stopped immediately, with no reason of failure. Guess the only way out of this is a clean install... 

Hi,

You may try to rebuild the boot manager to unlock the drive and check.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Select
Command Prompt.

g) Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

e) Type bootrec /RebuildBcd and then press ENTER.

After running the command restart the computer and try to perform a refresh booting form the Windows 8 disc.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

Note: Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC. When you perform Refresh or Reset of the PC, there are chances of losing data.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Praseetha,

I've done that, but the Command Prompt gave me this result (I forgot the exact sentence):
Detected Windows installation: 0.
I also noticed that during my sessions in Command Prompt, my main drive's letter (which Windows was residing) was swapped with 100 MB partition. It was no longer C but was E (I had one more partition within the disk, which was still correctly identified as D). Is this normal?

After some more blue screens, I finally was able to take a glimpse to the error message: it was INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (I couldn't spot the exact error code though). I tried something similar to the suggested solution here, but it failed too at the last step (my Windows installation was not recognized). In this condition, a Refresh from Windows 8 DVD couldn't be started with locked drive error, and a Refresh from Windows 8.1 DVD (which I got from my Dreamspark) failed too with no apparent reason.

I think I read somewhere that Win 8 DVD/repair disk can't be used to repair Win 8.1 and vice versa (aside from the fact that I can't find out how to create a repair disk in Win 8.1, only a USB repair disk)...

Thanks,

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can find no reference on any type of search for the blue screen I get on booting.

I have tried the steps mentioned here anyway with no success.

I can only boot from a USB with the boot info on it.

I have done the disk check routine and have no look. I think I have a bad spot on the disk at the boot record point, but nothing detects of fixes it. I restored in windows 7 and had the same thing, I then ordered an Copy & license for win 8.1. I have installed it twice and have the same problem.

I have used the repair function from the Cd with no change.

what I get when booting is the following as best as I can remember.

3 choices that go to further steps

1-  continue on to Windows 8.1   .........   This just take you to a reboot unless you boot from USB

2-  Restore or or what ever the term for writing over every thing. can not grasp all the new terms

3- Troubleshoot

a-  I'll not try to remember all of them as I'm 79 and they don't change a thing anyway.

If I can not get this fixed, I find no purpose in doing the windows 10 upgrade that went smoothly on my laptop yesterday. If I find nothing by August 4th, I am assuming a bad drive and retuning it as it has a Square D policy.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have used those steps and more. still have the problem 9 times out of 10 and have to boot from a USB.

I have done a fresh install twice and after a few boots, it is back. I was scheduled to upgrade to 10 today, but if I do, I may not be able to boot and have to refresh or whatever and loose the 10. I don't know if I can get it a second time.

I am going to look through a Windows 8 tutorial disk from WordStart and check with YouTube (if I can get an American that I can understand) in hopes of finding something MS has failed to tell us.

The windows 10 has feed back, that should stop some of these ministries on Win 10.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello.

Most of the problems are related to incorrect drivers.

It could be also due to new software or hardware installed.

You can look at this article for a detailed explanation.

Fix Common Windows 8.1 BSOD Errors - Some Easy Solutions

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

If Your system can't load the startup (or login screen) Try press F12 Before the system is starting up (my system is run with f12 to safe mode) If those tips aren't works , -Try Format your driver and install another windows version. 

-Try Upgrade all of your driver to latest version (included bios) to meet the windows installation requirements.

-Get some helps from websites if your error code is in common level. (My one is rare)

- Change A New PC (That's the easiest way XD)

LOL

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Continue...

I saw ur update #3 (Currently Latest)

Q: Did U run refresh with Any installation disc? And Are u sure that the System isn't contain any virus?

Ur Refresh is in 2% and stopped without any reason. The causes are:

-maybe ur system got any problem like missing or corrupted system file and make ur any actions having problem include shut down. 

-maybe ur drivers version can't meet up the system requirements.

-maybe ur device settings (BIOS) make ur system can't startup.  

LOL

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 21,457 Applies to: