Windows 8 Windows Update crashes Windows 8

The Windows 8 problems just continue...

When I turned on the Windows 8 laptop tonight, Windows 8 would not boot up.  I noticed Windows installing updates screen where it will not complete.  Windows 8 restarts and tries again, and this same loop occurred several times.  Finally I turned off the laptop and turned it back on where Windows 8 starts.  I manually run Windows Update through the Desktop and install these updates.  All the updates download and install.  Windows Update prompts to restart.  I click the Restart button and Windows 8 goes in to an error.

The error is a light blue screen with an unhappy face showing:

:(
  Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  We're just collecting some error info, and then you can restart.  (100%)

The error message is in very tiny print where it is not readable.

I turned off the laptop and Windows 8 starts to boot.  I get the Windows 8 logo with the progress indicator.  I wait, and wait, and wait.  Eventually I do see the "Preparing to configure Windows, Do not turn off your computer" message.  This reaches 100%, loads up to the login prompt, logged in to Windows 8.  A wide blue screen opens showing "Your PC ran into a problem" with the buttons of "Send details" and "Don't Send".

I notice on the Windows 8 Start menu that Office 2010 is no longer there along with several apps I installed from the Microsoft Store.

All I have been doing ever since I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro on this laptop, which ran Windows 7 without any problems for years including not one BSOD or crash, is always fixing errors, researching BSOD's, etc. where I am not even using my laptop for tasks that I have done for years.  Ever since October 29 to date, this is all I have been dealing with and Microsoft did a horrible job, based on what I am experiencing on two Windows 8 laptops.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely try and help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1)      Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer?

2)      Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

You may perform a System Restore on the computer to the previous state when it was working fine install the updates. After you perform the system restore, start the computer in a clean boot state.

Clean boot helps eliminate any software conflict.

Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot.

Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.

f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services

a. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.

c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

d. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Try installing the updates.

You may also follow the steps to disable Windows Firewall and Windows Defender and then try installing the updates.

Step 1: Disable Windows firewall.
a) Press ‘Windows + W’.
b) Type ‘Windows firewall’ and press enter.
c) Select ‘Turn Windows firewall on or off’ and select ‘Turn off the Windows firewall’ for both ‘public network location settings’ and ‘private network location settings’.

Step 2: Disable Windows Defender.
a) Press ‘Windows + W’.
b) Type ‘Defender’ and press enter.
c) Click on ‘settings’ tab and uncheck ‘Turn on real-time protection’.

Important: Do not forget to enable the security program once you are done with the troubleshootinh.

You may go through the steps from the article and check.      

Hope this helps and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Rohit -

I have already done most of those steps.  This laptop ran Windows 7 without any problems for years.  I then upgraded Window 7 to Windows 8 Pro and the laptop ran fine.  Now last night some Windows Updates installed and that is when the problem started to occur.  I cannot even get in to the Windows Update history to find out what updates installed to see if I can uninstall them.

Once again Microsoft probably sent a rogue update that triggered this problem on various systems.  I know that I am not the only one that has experienced this problem.

Your canned series of troubleshooting suggestions are good, however, been through those already.

A+, Network+, and MCP. IT Industry for 25 years.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I opened Event Viewer searching for errors for Windows Update or something related to the security updates installing.  I found in the error logs the following updates are not compatible with Windows 8:

KB2770917

KB2769165

These updates show "Update for Windows 8 for x64-based System".

There are two more Updates for Windows 8 still showing in Windows Update:

KB2769165

KB2770917

The two that are still showing in Windows Update are the ones that shows in the Event Viewer logs as not compatible with Windows 8.

If these two updates are not compatible with Windows 8, why is Microsoft pushing them out for Windows 8 x64?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!
Look through:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/windows-8-update-failing-on-kb2770917/0eb475f0-142e-4f1f-8aa3-7ade8d297dc6
and try to install updates in the clean boot state (step one above).

Thanks for the reference.

I already disabled all non-Microsoft services, which is a common element on troubleshooting Windows problems.  I do not have the Nalperion Licensing Service, nlsx86cc, showing in the Services tab in MSCONFIG nor in the services.msc.

Now the laptop that I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 now shows the unhappy face with wording that is too small for anyone to read and the system reboots.

I decided to put in the Windows 8 DVD images I created from the ISO file downloaded through the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistance when I upgraded from Windows 7.  I receive the same result from it with a different message, "Windows 8 Pro cannot be upgraded from Windows 2000".   I find that message interesting as this laptop only had Windows 7 on it.

I am trying to find the right steps to fix this laptop.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update...

After all the frustration and endless problems with Windows 8 on the laptop, and up to the point where these Windows Updates failed to install and incidentally caused Windows 8 to no longer boot to the desktop, I did a System Recovery on the laptop.  Windows 7 is going back on the laptop for now.

Windows 8, so far, is the worst Microsoft operating system at this time.  Historically, Microsoft operating system seems to improve in time, but I am not sure about Windows 8.  At least I will have one working laptop for now with Windows 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!
Your choice is your choice.
"Windows 8, so far, is the worst Microsoft operating system at this time". I dont't think so.
I think that you'v made haste. There is no any direct relationship with Nalperion Licensing Service and Windows updates installation. But there are some promblems with KB2769165 KB2770917 installation in those systems that were upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 8. There is no problem with Windows 8 that was a clean installation. So that is the problem of Windows 7 and it dependences but not of Windows 8.
You simply could use the function "Reset Your PC" directly from Windows 8. It resolves the problem whith Windows Update...
Thank you for the time You spent of this! I hope You will try again the new system when SP1 available.
Regards!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!
Your choice is your choice.
"Windows 8, so far, is the worst Microsoft operating system at this time". I dont't think so.
I think that you'v made haste. There is no any direct relationship with Nalperion Licensing Service and Windows updates installation. But there are some promblems with KB2769165 KB2770917 installation in those systems that were upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 8. There is no problem with Windows 8 that was a clean installation. So that is the problem of Windows 7 and it dependences but not of Windows 8.
You simply could use the function "Reset Your PC" directly from Windows 8. It resolves the problem whith Windows Update...
Thank you for the time You spent of this! I hope You will try again the new system when SP1 available.
Regards!

I have been experiencing other problems in Windows 8 where Microsoft and  ASUS has been unable to solutions to these problems.  As I mentioned in my previous message, I do not have the Nalperion Licensing Service and not sure what other services may be interfering.  After trying to fix the problem, Windows 8 suddenly would not boot up and I could not repair, refresh, or reset Windows 8 on the laptop.  Since I had to do a system recovery on the system, I just keep Windows 7 on there for now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see.
Windows 8 has problems with some  ASUS  motherboards. :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Error Code 8024402F again and again.. since last 3 days all I've been doing after buying this new HP laptop (and making the, now somewhat grave, mistake to upgrade to windows 8 pro.)

When things didn't go well and I had work to do, i decided to install Windows 7 on a dual boot .. worked fine for a while but i lost the nice Blue screen where you could choose which OS to boot into. 

I have tried your steps, doesn't work. 
I am reinstalling windows 8 now...hoping it works

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2020 Views 11,700 Applies to: