Windows 8 Pro Media Center Build 9200 Activation after reinstall problem

Read this think for some background: http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/29874-windows-8-says-avast-protecting-my-computer.html

I bought Windows 8 Pro by credit card when it was on special in December 2012 and installed it on my Lenovo custom-built Dual-Core computer, which is not UEFI capable.

After that - Windows offered a Windows 8 Pro with Media Center Product Key for free under a time-limited offer: <Removed Product Key information>

So I installed it before the end of the expiry period and happily ran Windows 8 Pro with Media Center on my machine for many months until Windows offered Windows 8.1 Preview for free. My mistake was activating this completely unstable system -- which is absolutely no improvement on Windows 8.

Windows 8.1 eventually crashed and I could only run the computer in SAFE MODE. So I had to go down the hall to my landlord's computer and spend 6 hours downloading the stable release of Windows 8 Pro onto a flash drive for reinstallation onto my disabled machine. As you must know -- you cannot do most important functions in SAFE MODE -- so I could not use the Upgrade Option to keep my files and settings.

So then I reinstalled Windows 8 and am still working on transferring the files from Windows.old...when I realized that i had lost the Media Center and that WMP was not working. So I reinstalled Windows 8 Pro with Media Center Build 9200 and tried to activate it with the Product Key that I had saved in my little Brown Book and was verified in the e-mail from last January 2013 that Windows had sent to me.

Then I find out the Key is BLOCKED! So I spent the better part of a day on the phone talking to Windows Support all over the bloody planet -- only to be told at the end that they will not help me re-activate the free Media Center! You can imagine how upset I am with Microsoft after all of that! After all -- I was in effect being a 'Guinea Pig'...working for free for Microsoft by trying their 8.1 software preview...and when that system crashed they won't even unblock or give me a new key??? I'v just about had it with windows and I am considering moving over to Linux or Apple after all of these years. Microsoft Customer Support is not up to the standard that I am accustomed to and I am severely disappointed, to say the least!
The thread that you pointed to indicates that you WERE able to obtain a new product key after this long hassle.
Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes Barb...after spending the better part of two days on the phone with Microsoft Support Agents all over the planet -- I finally got one who was competent at doing his job! The long and short of this is that I will never again play Guinea Pig for Microsoft by trying out any kind of OS Preview, as it turns into a complete nightmare when that Preview crashes.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi BruGordon,

Did you by any chance remember / get the name of the person at Microsoft who was able to help you and the location of where they are working for Microsoft at all please?

Regards,

John

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John,

I'm glad you asked that -- because I was foolishly ready to torture myself once again by installing the RTM version of 8.1 just the other day in order to make the recurring prompt go away. But I did vaguely recall this incident and I had a suspicion that I would lose my Media Center yet once again! Sure enough...that was the case and MS has not resolved it. Although I declined to install the 8.1 Update as the computer was hanging on boot -- I did receive excellent customer service from a woman in the Manila, Philippines office named "IRIC". My case was reference # 1225687320. I hope this helps you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The thread that you pointed to indicates that you WERE able to obtain a new product key after this long hassle.
Yes Barb...but it is incredibly hard to update Windows 8 or 8.1 on any machine that has the old BIOS only and no UEFI. To this day I can't get into my BIOS from Windows 8, which I wanted to do to install another OS on a second HDD.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have tried to re-install my Windows to 8.1 pro w/o media. I can go into my boot: tried  to install a new OS, 8.1 w/o media with CD/DVD and also USB Flash Drive but it goes right back to my Windows. I wish I could get somewhere with this. I too have spent several hours, Windows live chat, Windows 800# & internet research w/o any help. I am so frustrated with this. I can't even install a new OS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have tried to re-install my Windows to 8.1 pro w/o media. I can go into my boot: tried  to install a new OS, 8.1 w/o media with CD/DVD and also USB Flash Drive but it goes right back to my Windows. I wish I could get somewhere with this. I too have spent several hours, Windows live chat, Windows 800# & internet research w/o any help. I am so frustrated with this. I can't even install a new OS.
 Call Microsoft Support 1-877-568-2495 and get your case elevated to Level 2 Tech Support. You'll probably go from the Philippines to India during that process.

If that doesn't work for you, e-mail me: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and I'll see if I can help.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear, 

I need product key of  windows 8 pro. with media center build 9200. 

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2024 Views 10,061 Applies to: