Windows 8 Pro 0xc000021a error- fresh install, not an upgrade

This afternoon, I noticed my computer was pretty slow (far more than normal; it's a gaming rig) and reset it. When it rebooted, I got the BSoD with code 0xc000021a.

From what I understand after doing some research, this condition exists when crss.exe or winlogon.exe are corrupted or otherwise missing. The Windows NT kernel, needing these executables to run full Windows, sends the error message and then shuts down the boot up process.

Originally, the drive was locked as a result of the error and the processes attempted by the computer to fix it. Auto-repair is worth slightly more than nothing. Luckily, I have more than one hard drive in my PC, and one of them had 300 GB of free space. I installed a copy of Windows to it, in hopes of being able to repair the drive from outside. I was able to "unlock" the drive by applying upgraded security permissions to it through the new install of Windows. However, it still gives me error 0xc000021a when I try to boot to the original drive.

Since I have the ability to manipulate the partition (and the Windows installation) from outside, how can I fix this situation? I'm a student with lots of development and other tools on the drive... let me just say that REFORMATTING IS NOT AN OPTION. I have access to the files on the drive and can back up contents if necessary, but if it can be screwed up... it can be fixed, too.

No new hardware has been added before the incident occurred this afternoon, and the Windows installation was done on a bare drive several months ago. Tell me what I need to do to make it work again.

If you have a third party antivirus program installed, uninstall it.  Download and run Malwarebytes to check for spyware.  The following site may help solve your problem.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177(v=vs.85).aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

It seems that you are getting a blue screen error. It would be great if you can answer the following question:

Were there any changes made on the computer prior to the issue?

Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

As you are able to access the drives, I would suggest you to perform check disk on the computer:

a.     Press Windows key + Q to search Settings.

b.    Type “CMD”.

c.     From the results, right click Command Prompt and Click Run as Administrator.

d.    At the Command Prompt, type “chkdsk /r /f” without quotes and press Enter.

When you restart the computer, it will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found, it tries to repair that sector and if any data available on that might be lost.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to contact the system manufacturer and try to update the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) drivers and check if it helps:

Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to try to do a system restore to an earlier point of time before the issue occurred:

a)    Boot from the Windows 8 DVD.

b)    Click on Repair your computer.

c)    Click on Troubleshoot.

d)    Click on Advanced options and click System restore.

e)    Follow the on-screen instructions and check if it helps.

Method 4:

If you are still facing the issue, I would suggest you to refresh the computer and check if it helps:

a)    Boot from the Windows 8 DVD.

b)    Click on Repair your computer.

c)    Click on Troubleshoot.

d)    Click on Refresh your PC.

e)    Follow the on-screen instructions and check if it helps.

Note: By refreshing the computer you will not lose any files, but any applications installed from discs or websites will be removed. You will also see the lists of removed applications saved on the desktop. Your PC settings will also be changed to default.

Hope this helps. If you have any further issues on the computer, please post your question regarding Windows and we will be happy to help you.

Rohit S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it didnt work..
i cannot either refresh or reset my computer..
any other way to solve my problem??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got a new All in one desktop PC with pre-installed Windows 8. I am facing the same issue: Windows 8 0xc000021a error-
Neither of them are working: System Restore, Refresh, Reset.

Is there any other way to get this problem resolved ?

Thanks in advance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also am getting this issue on a very high end gaming laptop (MainGear Nomad 17) running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit (clean install, no upgrade).

The system has been running like clockwork since February 7 2013 (when I received it) until Monday May 13, 2013 - when I booted (after having used it all weekend) I received the BSOD 0xc000021a error.

I have run every single test advised online (here and elsewhere).

Booted into Safe Mode, used command prompt, ran these tests:

> sfc /scannow - Verification 100% complete - did not find any integrity violations.
> chkntfs - is not dirty (on all drives - C: & G:)
> chkdsk - 0 bad sectors on all disks.

The system intermittently boots properly, then doesn't., then loops in BIOS, then gives me BSOD (same error always).

What I don't understand is how is it that a system passes integrity checks, drive checks, volume checks, memory checks and STILL continues to BSOD on reboot 99% of the time?

This is an absolutely absurd problem to be stuck in and have your only recourse be to refresh or reinstall your entire system.

I am fully backed up in the cloud, data loss is not my concern. The 3 months I have spent carefully building out my system to be the perfect development system being wiped because MicroSoft can't develop a diagnostic a utility that can check and repair the crss.exe or winlogon.exe IS a problem.

I have heard every canned response online in every forum and support site/blog/wiki/etc. and I am not interested in refreshing or re-installing. I am interested in a repair solution for these two key OS files. For what this OS costs it SHOULD be repairable. I have the install media, I have my product key codes... WHY can't I repair the offending files (or even identify that they are indeed the cause of this error) with your diagnostic utilities??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thegentleone,

Did you find a solution to this problem? I am interested to know what you tried and whether you're still on Windows 8 after this experience. Because of this 0xc000021a bug I am on the verge of reinstalling with Windows 7 until v8 has its first service pack.

Thanks for your perspective.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 18, 2019 Views 3,291 Applies to: