Windows 8 mail not working properly as default mail app

Deployed a new HP AIO - 27" computer yesterday for a client with Windows 8/64.  The default mail client, Windows 8 Mail, is not functioning as the default mail client even after setting it as the default mail client.  So, when a file is selected, then right mouse clicked and you choose to email that file, an error comes up that indicates there is not a default mail client even though the select default mail client is Windows 8 Mail.  Seems there is a registry diconnect here.  Not sure how to proceed. 

Be advised will need to connect with client to work through any suggested solutions, so be patient with our replies.

Thank you

Lario Belcastro

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The Win8 mail app is not an email client and does not accept the "send to mail recipient" or other such functions.  It is severely limited and I'm not sure why they even bothered to include it with the OS.

steve

Steve Cochran, Ph.D.
MS-MVP 1998 - 2014
Outlook Express \ Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey LarioBelcastro,

The ability to email a file from Windows Explorer relies on MAPI (Messaging Application Programming Interface), which is something that the Windows Mail app doesn't currently support. However, you can still attach a file while composing a message through the user interface by simply opening the App Bar and selecting the Attachments button.

-Chris

With Gratitude,
Chris Baudin

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a major oversight.  Is MAPI support going to be added to the windows mail app in the future?

Sorry this didn't help.

I posted the following on another forum.  This is how I resolved it.  In layman's terms.  And no idea  what MAPI is.....Not everyone is a computer wizard

Purchased the book Windows 8 for dummies.  On Page 366 it has a short paragraph about "There is no email program associated to perform the requested Action....." Long story short, after searching on Windows website, somehow I found something about "Windows Essential 2012"  I downloaded that, installed it (it will ADD the mail program feature, plus update Skydrive and something else ( can't remember what that was). 

I had all of the same issues.  Saying a default mail acct has to be chosen, opening up defaults and it says mail WAS the default already.  Downloading the Windows Essential 2012 file resolved my problem which was everything grayed out for "send link by email", etc......  I spent hours trying to solve this on my own. Was very frustrated.  Brand new computer with Windows 8...you think they would have all of the Essentials automatically installed. It let me choose to install a mail program and that is what my computer needed.   It has put the email program Windows Live (I had Outlook Express on Windows XP) on my computer also, so now I can check emails like I have been use to doing!  I can now check email, send links, etc. right from Internet Explorer!

I hope this resolves everyone's issue with this

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey LarioBelcastro,

The ability to email a file from Windows Explorer relies on MAPI (Messaging Application Programming Interface), which is something that the Windows Mail app doesn't currently support. However, you can still attach a file while composing a message through the user interface by simply opening the App Bar and selecting the Attachments button.

-Chris

You are a brave man Chris Baudin "Mail app team member" for admitting to being a part of the team that produced an email application that doesn't handle MAPI nor POP3!
--
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
MCC 2011, 2015, 2017

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the responses,

So the consensis is the feature does not work by default, due to not having a rooted MAPI function and maybe if the client installs Windows Essentials 2012 there might be a possibility that my work?

Is that a resonable interpretation?

Lario  

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, there are some people who can't even get it to work with WLM installed, but the general consensus seems to be that a 3rd party email program rectifies the situation and WLM qualifies as such.  Neither the mail app nor webmail will handle that functionality.

steve

Steve Cochran, Ph.D.
MS-MVP 1998 - 2014
Outlook Express \ Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Advised the customer of these replies and they are opting to use a web workaround.

I'm considering this a closed case.

Thank you to everyone for their time and replies.

Thank you again,

Lario Belcastro

Sorry this didn't help.

Nancy, I can't thank you enough for posting this solution.  You have a BIG new deposit in the Good Karma Bank.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey LarioBelcastro,

-Chris

This needs to be implanted. The detachment of metro from desktop is the downfall of Windows 8

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2018 Views 5,592 Applies to: