Windows 8 is slow in startup after shut down and restart

Hi!

After I have upgraded to Windows 8, I experienced a problem about startup when I turn on my PC from shut down or restart my PC.

Back in Windows 7, the startup is nice and good, but in Windows 8, the startup was slow and eats my Disk's Active Time for 100% in my PC's first 15 mins. Every time I turn on my PC, I need to wait for about 5 to 10 mins for the Active Time of my Disk return to 0% or below 5%.

For restarting my PC, the screen that says "Restarting..." takes long time to actually restart.

Is this really normal?

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community forums and providing me an opportunity to help you.

I understand that Windows 8 start up is too slow after shut down or restart and disk active time show 100%.

Let us follow the troubleshooting steps listed below and try to fix this issue, but before we proceed let me know the follow information.

1)      What is the make and model of the computer?

2)      Do you remember making any changes prior to this issue?

Let us follow the methods given below and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Unplug all the devices connected to the computer except keyboard and mouse and try restarting the computer.

Method 2: Perform “System maintenance troubleshooter”

a) Press Windows key + X, Select Control Panel.

b) In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

c) Under System and Security,

d) Now click System maintenance.

e) And follow the steps.

Method 3: Let us try booting the computer in safe mode and let us perform a clean boot.

Step 1: Perform Safe Mode

Click the link and follow the steps “Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Check if you face the same issue in safe mode. If the issue doesn’t persists in safe mode, the place the computer in clean boot and check.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)      In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)      On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d)      When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 4: Run Microsoft safety scanner.

Download and run Microsoft Safety Scanner from the link to make sure you computer is not infected by virus:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Also refer to the articles given below.

Ways to improve your PC's performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-pc-performance

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286?wa=wsignin1.0#method2

Hope the information helps to fix the issue you had with Windows 8 computer. If you have any further queries, or any queries related to Windows, feel free to post. We will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi VipinPalathully Gopi!

Here's the details you needed:

1) What is the make and model of the computer?

• HP (Hewlett-Packard) / HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC

2) Do you remember making any changes prior to this issue?

• No. I didn't make any changes to my PC after I upgraded my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 8 Pro. I just followed the necessary things to upgrade. After the upgrade, the problem occurred immediately.

I did everything in the instructions and they didn't work. The Active Time of my Hard Disk remains 100% at its firs 15mins of startup from Turning On my PC after a shut down or restart.

There are things I noticed also:

• It goes down below 20% in the first 15mins. for 1-2mins and then goes up again at 100%.
  • Beyond the 15mins. or when the hard disk active time cools down at below 10% or 0%, it sometimes goes up again to 100% for about 1-2mins.
  • I checked the Processes tab in Task Manager and I noticed that the applications named 'System', 'Antimalware Service Executable', 'Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host' and 'Service Host: Local System (Network Restriction 8)' eats so much memory at the first 15mins. of startup. I fully understand why they have to eat memory at startup because they are vital to the whole process of the OS, but do they really need to take so much time to load?

Thanks for giving attention to my concern :)

Thanks! :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2024 Views 11,688 Applies to: