Windows 8 - blank screen on login for secondary user

Hello,

I recently purchased a laptop with Windows 8 OS. This is the first time I am using this OS. Initially I created an admin account and am using it successfully. Today I tried to add a secondary user. When I switch to this new user, it stays on the blanks screen with mouse pointer on it. However I can open up task manager and navigate to the folders of various processes and services (I tried it only to check if I can do anything). However I am not able to come out of this blank screen. I tried to delete this account and recreate a new one, but no use. I read on the forums that the start screen might be going on the secondary monitor. However I tried to connect laptop to the TV, but still sees blank screen on both. Windows+P keys also do not bring up any display menu.

Please advise how to fix this problem.

Thank You

Regards,

Pawan

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query in
Microsoft community!

You've reached the right forum for the question.
Some of the common reasons for the black screen are:
1) The computer may have multiple monitors.
2) The video drivers are not updated to its latest version.
3) It may be due to some devices connected with the computer.
I will try my best with all my available resources to help you to fix this issue.
Method 1
Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.

Method 2:
Step 1:You may try to boot into safe mode with networking
To start the computer with minimal set of drivers and files, follow these steps.

a) Press the ‘
Windows + C’ key on the keyboard.

b) Click on
settings, more pc settings and then general.

c) Scroll down to
advanced startup, click restart now.

d) Click on
troubleshoot, advanced options, WindowsStartup Settings.

e) Click
restart, select safe mode with networkingand then press enter.

Note: Restart the computer to start in normal mode.
Step 2: If the issue doesn't occur in safe mode with networking then you may perform a clean boot and check.
How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: After trouble shooting put the computer to start as usual by performing step 7 from the above Knowledge Base article.

Method 3:
If the issue persists you may update all the latest divers for Windows 8 including BIOS from the manufacturer website and check if it helps.
Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.
Give this a go; I’m confident you will find what you need here. But if you face any further issue please reply back to this post and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This is not all all helpful. How can it be a start up issue when we can login with the primary user and everything is fine? So we login, create a new user account, logout, then login with the new user account, and all we get is a totally blank start screen.

Windows-D takes you to the old desktop which seems to work, but you cannot run any apps, e.g. word, excel, or another app that is installed unless you browse to it in file explorer and double click; then it works. The search charm on the start screen doesn't work. The Full Apps list on the start screen is also blank.

Very disappointing that 2 y ears later, the same problem still happens on a PC that has been totally updated with all MS updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not all all helpful. How can it be a start up issue when we can login with the primary user and everything is fine? So we login, create a new user account, logout, then login with the new user account, and all we get is a totally blank start screen.

Windows-D takes you to the old desktop which seems to work, but you cannot run any apps, e.g. word, excel, or another app that is installed unless you browse to it in file explorer and double click; then it works. The search charm on the start screen doesn't work. The Full Apps list on the start screen is also blank.

Very disappointing that 2 y ears later, the same problem still happens on a PC that has been totally updated with all MS updates.

I agree, as of now it looks like Microsoft doesn't know the cause, of course resetting/refreshing/clean installing your windows 8 will resolve the problem but not fix the issue.

Please Microsoft start giving your users real options

PS it happens on Windows 8.1 Pro

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like somewhere along the lines the main Administrator account or the System ruled out the other accounts making them unable to start explorer.exe with the proper authorization.  I ctrl+alt+delete and ran explorer.exe with given administrator rights and magic my desktop and start screen where there as usual.  However if I remove those privileges and restart explorer.exe it goes back to the black screen..

Any help now the I may have found the problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like somewhere along the lines the main Administrator account or the System ruled out the other accounts making them unable to start explorer.exe with the proper authorization.  I ctrl+alt+delete and ran explorer.exe with given administrator rights and magic my desktop and start screen where there as usual.  However if I remove those privileges and restart explorer.exe it goes back to the black screen..

I have this problem also on my daughters windows 8 laptop. On a couple of occasions this happened to her. I am also an admin user on her laptop. As of this week, neither she nor I can get past the black screen when we login. We have the cursor, we can ctrl+d and open task manager, but we cannot get any windows desktop.

What can I try?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same situation.

Have you found the solution?

I have no idea up to now. As for me - this is completely stupid situation, and Microsoft should provide a very simple and clear solution how to fix this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2020 Views 4,417 Applies to: