Windows 8 black screen after startup! Help!

I'm getting black screen after restarted, any help? Do any one know how to open safe mode? F8 is not working!

PS. I don't have boot disc, i have installed using windows 8 installer!

And i got this problem after i updated windows updates.
|
I had the same problem. I own a HP DV7, and the reason my windows 8 wouldn't work, is
The graphics driver would not support it. You need to get a refund of Windows 8, destroy the copy you have. Turn your computer off, and as you start it back up, AT THE SAME TIME, push F11. And system restore your computer to Windows 7, and wait until they release service packs for your specific driver.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Am BACK to the BLACK SCREEN again since updating Windows 8 !!!

Can anyone out there explain to a novice like myself the exact steps to take to reverse the Nvidia card updates (provided that is indeed the cause???)

Remember... I HAVE A BLACK SCREEN - ONLY A BLACK SCREEN - CANNOT GET ANYTHING ELSE TO LOAD OTHER THAN A BLACK SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO, SAFE MODE DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!

And, how do I even know if I have this NVIDIA card?

Before it crashed after the update I had an "ATI" error come up whenever I started on the desktop... believe there is not a Windows8 driver for it yet so hence the error code.

Can't believe how many HOURS I've spent with this problem... grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Can anyone out there tell me if hitting the F11 key upon start-up will take me to a place where I can simpy & EASILY (remember I am a novice!) restore back to WINDOWS 7 ???

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue after installing updates and when I hit on F8 after seeing the black screen, it simply went to stanby mode and on pressing any key, it was back again asking me for a password. Hope this helps you..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exactly same question. 
While it is in black screen, i can manage to see mouse curse. 
If I am lucky, I can input the password and log in. Then I can see the desktop in Windows 8, but no START screen, I can't open any window. I click click the programs on task bar, but can't see them. 

Tried power off and power on to repair, many times no luck. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

downclock your cpu below 4.0. it will correct your black screen. windows 8 is not allowing cpu overclocking much.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wrong.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How come no one has reply with a good answer like helping :( I have the same problem PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you can access advance boot option by doing restart option ( power menu ) while holding the shift key on your keyboard .. shift+restart ( on the log in page ) OR other work around is force fail. =)

advance boot option >> troubleshoot >> you can pefrom either refresh ( after the refresh you can able to log in again with the black screen. But doing the refresh will erase some of the apps. ( BUT AFTER REFRESHING MAKE SURE YOU GO ON THE WINDOWS UPDATE UNINSTALLED ALL AUG 2014 UPDATE THEN HIDE IT ON THE WINDOWS UPDATE , THEN DONT UPDATE ANY UPDATE UNTILL ISSUE IS RESOLVE. HEHEH for the meantime. ) ORRRR you can access the safe mode same process shift + restart >> troubleshoot >> advance option >> start up settings >> restart >> while the your computer restart >> choose safe mode ( with networking or just safe mode ) >> then log in >> safe mode.

**note :

MAKE SURE YOU GO ON THE INSTALLED UPDATES, UNINSTALLED ALL AUG 2014 

UPDATES THEN HIDE IT ON THE WINDOWS UPDATE , THEN DONT UPDATE ANY windows UPDATE UNTILL ISSUE IS not RESOLVE. HEHEHE for the meantime.

--its up you if you want to do this =)

--ernest =)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you can access advance boot option by doing restart option ( power menu ) while holding the shift key on your keyboard .. shift+restart ( on the log in page ) OR other work around is force fail. =)

advance boot option >> troubleshoot >> you can pefrom either refresh ( after the refresh you can able to log in again with the black screen. But doing the refresh will erase some of the apps. ( BUT AFTER REFRESHING MAKE SURE YOU GO ON THE WINDOWS UPDATE UNINSTALLED ALL AUG 2014 UPDATE THEN HIDE IT ON THE WINDOWS UPDATE , THEN DONT UPDATE ANY UPDATE UNTILL ISSUE IS RESOLVE. HEHEH for the meantime. ) ORRRR you can access the safe mode same process shift + restart >> troubleshoot >> advance option >> start up settings >> restart >> while the your computer restart >> choose safe mode ( with networking or just safe mode ) >> then log in >> safe mode.

**note :

MAKE SURE YOU GO ON THE INSTALLED UPDATES, UNINSTALLED ALL AUG 2014 

UPDATES THEN HIDE IT ON THE WINDOWS UPDATE , THEN DONT UPDATE ANY windows UPDATE UNTILL ISSUE IS not RESOLVE. HEHEHE for the meantime.

--its up you if you want to do this =)

--ernest =)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

not going to work with black screen....no picture

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 3,278 Applies to: