Windows 8 backup error code 0x81000033

I am attempting to create a system image from Windows 8 on a external USB drive. I have a Seagate expansion drive with 1.81 Tb capacity that I am attempting to put the backup on. In Control Panel/Windows 7 file recovery I am selecting 'back up now' The backup appears to proceed normally... but eventually fails with error code 0x81000033

There is plenty of free space on the Seagate external drive - so space should not be an issue.

How do I correct this issue?

|
Answer
Answer

Hi Conrad,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with this issue.

It looks that, you are getting error 0x81000033 when you are trying to create a system image from Windows 8 on an external USB drive.

Let me ask you few question:

1) What is the complete error message?
2) When do you exactly get this error message?

3) Have you installed any third party Antivirus or security software?

Please follow the steps given in the methods given here.

Method 1: Check for Volume shadow copy service and Windows backup service.

I would suggest you to check if the Volume shadow copy service and Windows backup services are running on you r computer.

Follow these steps:

a) Press Windows key +R Key and type "services.msc" without quotes.

b) Search for the Volume shadow copy service and Windows back up service and check their status.

c) If they are not automatic, then right click on them and select start.

Please move to the next method if you still face the issue.

Method 2: Run check disk

I would suggest you to go through the section ‘Repair a drive’ of the article to perform check disk. Here is the link for your reference.

One of the best ways you can improve your PC's performance is by optimizing the hard drive. Windows includes features to help optimize the different types of drives that PCs use today. No matter which type of drive your PC uses, Windows automatically chooses the optimization that's right for your drive.

Please refer to the section "To repair a drive to perform check disk".

Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Important Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Now try to create system image.

Please move to the next method if you still face the issue.

Method 3: Temporarily disable Security Software

I would suggest you to disable the security software temporarily and then try to create a system image.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

I hope your issue gets resolved by now. Please write to us if you have any Windows related issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 10, 2021 Views 10,474 Applies to: