WINDOWS 8 Action Center reports firewall/anti-spyware turned off, Norton says it is running, and firewall on. Had driver power state failure too.

1. WINDOWS 8 Action Center reports firewall/anti-spyware is turned off, Norton says it is running, and its firewall is on.

2. On a brand new Gateway, Windows Explorer has hung up necessitating restarts 2x in one day.

3. I had "driver_power_state_failure," and blue screen. Extremely slow restarts today, after extremely fast restarts yesterday as we were setting this up.

Efforts I made to correct: I have done a Norton scan -- okay. I checked hard drive for errors - none.   I checked for Windows 8 updates -nothing to update.

Multiple problems, please help!

Please provide the following information to help us figure out the problem:

- Please zip up the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump directory

- Upload it to the Public area of a SkyDrive account ( https://skydrive.live.com )

- Post a link here so we can download it.

and

- Go to Start (or press the “Win” and “R” keys at the same time), type in "msinfo32" and press Enter

- When the utility opens, save a copy of it as an .nfo file, and another copy as a .txt file (in case the .nfo is corrupted - which happens fairly often)

- Zip them up and upload them to the Public area of a SkyDrive account ( https://skydrive.live.com )

- Post a link here so we can download it.

Use SkyDrive to upload the collected files:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Even though it's new, try these free diagnostic tests:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

While waiting for a reply, please run Driver Verifier according to these directions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

- John
My website: http://www.carrona.org/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mark Roeder

Glad to know that you posted on windows 8 community.

As i understand windows action center reports firewall/anti-spyware turned off and you are getting error "driver_power_state_failure," and blue screen.

Could you please answer some questions so that we can help you in abetter way.

1.Are you able to boot to the computer?

2.which firewall do u want to disable is it windows defender or norton.?

3.Have you made any recent changes to the computer prior to this issue.?

Here are few methods which i want you to try.

Method 1.

Please follow the below mentioned link to see how to turn windows firewall on and off.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-firewall-from-start-to-finish.

Method 2.

Note. Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

I Want you to disable norton antivirus program and check if the problem is resolved.

Method3.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to do a clean boot.

Follow the steps to perform clean boot:

Step 1:
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ window type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.
d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.
e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.
f) On the ‘StartUp’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.
g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services
a. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.
b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.
d. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns.
If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.
If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items
If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns
If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.
If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.
If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem.
After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ window type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Hope the above information helps.please get back to us if the problem is not resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed Norton 360 and it works sometimes. Then sometimes action center says I don't have a virus program installed. Yet Norton runs. My fix is a work around until Microsoft and Norton get it fixed. It works 100% of the time.

1. go to Norton and disable it and the Norton firewall.

2. Restart

3. go into action center and click the enable virus and select Norton if it asks

wait a few minute for it to register. This should work but sometimes I have to do it a few times, don't interrupt the restart just wait until the action center flag comes up. Interrupting  the restart seems to mess up Norton registering with the action center,

I think it a communication problem between Norton and action center.

Also I've been having a lot of problems with Norton. Sometimes it does not scan, click the button and nothing happens. Running the fix above seems to fix it.

The problems seems to be occurring more often and I'm about ready to uninstall Norton and try something else.

Hope that helps Rob in Albuquerque

Robfly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been having this problem. It seems MS cant be arsed trying to fix it and hapless fools like me go to stores, fork out hundreds of dollars for junk, and then have to rely on forums like this to find out why its not working. Microsoft, Norton and all the other companies who steal money are a joke. It's pathetic the amount of money these companies have, and yet we still have to rely on work arounds. Get you act together Microsoft. Too many of you are very rich for doing far too little. If I thought you were bothered, I'd say shame on you, but you really really don't give a damn. Never again will I buy your ****. Steve Jobs RIP. You had customer service spot on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2020 Views 2,563 Applies to: