Windows 7 Windows Update error code 80070005.

I have Windows 7 and am receiving a Windows Update error code 80070005. I have tried a number of solutions including Tim Quan's post. None have resolved this issue. More ideas?

I have tried your suggestions however the problem still exists. Here are the answers to your questions:

1) I had a virus type event occur on system which presented a Phising Window that replicated a MS Windows screen. I did not act on the screen however this changed attributes to Read Only and Hidden on many files on the computer including my entire D:

i was (am) running MS Secutiry Essentials at the time.

although all program icons became invisible I was able to search and get a link to the Internet which allowed me to run Norton Power Eraser, which detected and deleted the virus.  I then downloaded an ran Norton 360. Next I used System restore to go back a couple of weeks and this seemed to put me back into a place where all systems were go.

2) I then tried to manually run Windows Update and this is when I encounter the error. After trying a number of repairs including the ones you have suggested and Microsoft Fix It. The error still occurs when I attempt to run Windows Update

3) The updates I am try to install are the ones that Microsoft posts. No particular updates, just the latest updates pushed by MS.

4) In running the Reset.cmd you suggested, I notice that 3 sections finish with errors:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XML - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is Denied

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XML\CLSID - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is Denied

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile\CLSID - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is Denied

Does this help give you any insights?

Also I noticed that when I attempted to look into the CBS.log I received an Access is Denied error

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2018 Views 59,172 Applies to:
Answer

I did not do what you've asked because it is just too labour intensive and I have already spent many hours answering various questions and trying differnt fixes.

My problem however has now been solved by a very simple fix...

To resolve it I've simply removed the hidden and read-only attribute from the c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and subfolders. Windows Update worked immediately after doing this.

100 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.