Windows 7 windows update constantly "checking for updates"

Windows update will not go past the "checking for updates" stage. I let it run all night and in the morning it was still there checking for updates. I have Windows 7 Home Premium. The only updates that have been installed came after I installed Windows 7 back in 11/10. I was using MS Security Essentials but was unable to update that also, so I uninstalled it. I am trying to bring windows up to date but can"t seem to accomplish this. Any ideas? 
Answer
Answer
Not one of those updates you reference are in my installed updates list. The latest updates in the list are from 11/14/10. At this point I am trying to get windows update to work before I reinstall MSE or purchase a different anti-virus program. I thinking maybe NOD 32.

Suggest you try resetting Windows Update components. Go here - How do I reset Windows Update components
Download and save the Fixit from that page.
When the download completes close all open programs, applications, and browsers.

Now run MicrosoftFixit50202.msi and choose the Default mode.
When the Fixit finishes running, reboot only if it requests you to.
Check to see if the system can update now.

If it still can not update, then run the Fixit once more and choose the Aggressive mode.
When it's finished running restart the system and check to see if it can update.

If it still can not update, then please copy & paste the last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log in your reply -
How to read the Windowsupdate.log file

MowGreen
Windows Expert IT Pro - Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
Never Forgotten

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Sounds like you're seeing the effects of a hijackware infection there, Keith.

Visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy.  If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates. 

• Cleaning a Compromised System
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100% trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of Windows.  Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of Win7: See the "Using the Custom installation option and formatting the hard disk" (or the "Reinstalling Windows 7") section of http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Good luck!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2019 Views 78,298 Applies to: