Windows 7 will not boot, startup repair, recovery disk useless.

I turned on my new hp laptop (less than four months old at this point) this morning, only to find that it could not boot. It suggested using Startup Repair, but this did nothing more than settle me on a black blue help screen with no information or windows, contrary to how I understand this option is to work.

Safe Mode doesn't work, instead merely loading some windows files before going directly back to square one, the hp loading screen before asking me to use startup repair, which still does not work. This is true for all three safe modes.

My hp laptop did not come with a restore disc, instead being partitioned. Because I am unable to access the partition, I downloaded Windows 7's restore disc and burned it to a CD-R, inserting it into the laptop's disc drive and setting it to boot the disc drive before the hard drive. This was met with limited success. As opposed to giving me a blank blue help screen with no windows or help, it gives me the same screen and prompts me to select my input (US Keyboard). After this, however, nothing happens either.

I'd be more than happy to restore my laptop back to factory settings, if only I could get to the option that would allow me to do so. There are no tech stores nearby, so it would be quite inconvenient to have someone else fix this. Please help :(

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2018 Views 197,182 Applies to:
Answer
Hey I have the same problem please tell me how I can manually fix the registry keys, I think they r messed up. My acer laptop won't boot windows or system repair, I have even bites a recovery cd it won't boot that either it just hangs on the windows 7 wallpaper screen after I select the type of input keyboard.. I have all my data on that and don't hv it backup.. :(
Before you do anything else you must back up your data. Boot your machine with an Ubuntu boot CD (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/) and use its GUI to save your files to an external storage device. Note that downloading the Ubuntu CD image of 720 MBytes can take a long time.

40 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi AVBenedetto,

If you can borrow or arrange a Windows 7 full version disc, then you can try performing a Startup repair or System Restore booting from the Vista Installation disc.

Refer the link:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

If you are trying to do a factory default and need assistance, then you may need to get in touch with HP for further support.

Refer the link:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our

Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

47 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.